Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

winter tyre question

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I have got winter tyres on my car, and intend to leave them on all year.
What are the implications if I am involved in an accident? If my car is examined after an accident, could the winter tyres be deemed 'illegal' outside winter?
I don't use my car as much as I like, and I am hoping the winter tyres will not crack like regular tyres do from lack of use.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: winter tyre question

Post by geoberni »

Well the 1st question back is... where are you? Legislation varies around the world...
Actually, I just checked your previous posts so I know you're not far from me somewhere around Nottingham. :wink:

See this report: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and ... nter-tyres

I think the key thing to take away from the whole article is the statement :
At temperatures above 7°C, winter tyres offer significantly poorer performance in dry conditions than summer tyres. This can mean a marked increase in braking distances and poorer grip on bends. Winter tyres suffer from increased wear rates if used in warmer temperatures.
Knowing what insurance companies are like for squirming out of paying.... :o
Basil the 1955 series II

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks, that is an interesting article. I like the fact that winter tyres have more rubber content. I am fed up with tyres cracking in-between the treads when there is still loads of tread left, often when the tyres are only a few months old.
noidea
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by noidea »

hi
if the tyres are only a few months old and they crack take them back for replacement as there must be something wrong with the rubber compound.tyres only normally crack when they have been stood a long time .tyres on trailers and caravans have to be changed every 4-5 years even if they have plenty of tread on them to be legal all tyres have dates on them .

dave
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

They crack much earlier than that. Last winter I did a lot of work on the car over about 8 weeks, and that amount of time with the car stationary was enough to crack the tyres. They were about 18 months old.
I did take a set of tyres back and got a refund about 5 years ago. They were cracked between the treads at about 6 months old. The retailer said they were from a 'bad batch'.
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

its all to do with rubber compound ,soft /hard rubber and weather temprature
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Are they winter or all season tyres, many suppliers sell all season tyres as winter tyres (which they are by definition I supose). It should be marked on the sidewall.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks Kevin. They are Continentals, I will have a look.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

O dear. The tyres are 'contiwintercontact' tyres, so I suppose they are just winter tyres.
PMcP82

Post by PMcP82 »

Would all season tyres be appropriate for a country that's rather warm and has no (or almost no) negative temperatures in winter? And if yes, then, would they be appropriate for the hot summers as well, or should I replace them for summer tyres in this case? The thing is that I was looking at these apartments on the Costa Blanca for the holidays (and, who knows, maybe for when I retire as well) as soon as Spain is safe again, and of course, I'd need a car there. However, I've never owned a car under such a climate...
noidea
Minor Friendly

Post by noidea »

all season tyres are ok for this country but would think the rubber compound would be to soft for the spanish heat 40 deg c

dave
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

PMcP82 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:24 pm Would all season tyres be appropriate for a country that's rather warm and has no (or almost no) negative temperatures in winter? And if yes, then, would they be appropriate for the hot summers as well, or should I replace them for summer tyres in this case? The thing is that I was looking at these apartments on the Costa Blanca for the holidays (and, who knows, maybe for when I retire as well) as soon as Spain is safe again, and of course, I'd need a car there. However, I've never owned a car under such a climate...
The UK has 'almost no' negative temperatures in the winter nowadays.
PMcP82

Post by PMcP82 »

Thanks for the answers, it's more or less what I thought, but I wanted some confirmation first.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

PMcP82 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:24 pm However, I've never owned a car under such a climate...
:lol: I lived in Nevada for 3 years, the heat can be hard on cars. Batteries out there last 2-3 years if you're lucky and tyres wear out pretty fast on the hot roads.
Which is hilarious when it rains occasionally and all the locals just drive as usual, with frequent accidents because they've skidded on the weeks/months of rubber and oil that's covering the road surface.... :roll: :lol:
I doubt it would be anywhere near that bad in Spain, but I suppose it would depend on whereabouts in the country you were.
Basil the 1955 series II