Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Classical gas - say ‘no’ to E10 petrol

Post by Oldmogman »

There are just a few weeks left to respond to the government consultation about introducing E10 petrol in 2021.

As most owners are aware, the current level of 5% ethanol in petrol (known as ‘E5’) is bad enough, and has already resulted in a number classic cars catching fire after the ethanol destroyed their fuel lines. But now the government is talking about increasing the ethanol content to 10% (known as ‘E10’).

And this is despite tests carried out on behalf of the DfT in 2010, which revealed the corrosive effects of E10 on classic fuel systems, including carburettor float bowls and needles, fuel hoses and even fuel tanks.

It’s also despite the findings of a What Car? test, which found that increasing the amount of ethanol in petrol decreases engine efficiency. This means that cars are driven harder to obtain the same performance, resulting in increased fuel consumption and increased emissions.

Campaigners have called for a ‘protection grade’ E5 of 97-plus octane to be made available for classic cars as well as the hundreds of thousands of pre-2011 cars unable to run on E10. And you can help ensure classic-friendly fuel is introduced, by taking part in the consultation before it closes on April 19, 2020.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... trolsurvey

You need to download and complete a form, which needs to be sent to LowCarbonFuel.Consultation@dft.gov.uk

Yes, there are quite a lot of questions but you need only respond to the ones you feel able to, so don’t be put off; this is a an opportunity for classic owners to make their views known. And the more people that take part will demonstrate the strength of feeling among classic car owners, who want to continue to drive their cars without fear of them being destroyed by E10 fuel.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Classical gas - say ‘no’ to E10 petrol

Post by geoberni »

You've given the wrong link so it doesn't work as you intended.
Try this one:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... e10-petrol
Basil the 1955 series II

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Do the additives work in the ethanol laden fuel?
john newton
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by john newton »

i had 5 galls diesel stored in clear plastic fuel container,when i came to use it there was water in the bottom and asticky brown residue.being tight fisted i decanted slowly into clear glass container and then used it.i scraped the residue out,and over afew days it hardened into a sticky toffee,was the fuel better without the add,s,it did not cause trouble. re john.
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

I use Millers VSPe additive . In addition to providing a lead substitute it claims to protect classic car fuel systems from the adverse effects of up to 10% Ethanol. It also claims to enhance the octane rating of fuel by up to two points. I've been using it for quite a while and I do feel that the car is more vigorous than previously, and I had to turn down the tickover speed.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
This might be a good buy then..............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cohline-2240 ... SwvARd86tO

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If I’m reading it correctly, there’s a proposal to maintain E5 in super grade petrol, so there’s a way through.

PMcP82

Post by PMcP82 »

john newton wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:15 am i had 5 galls diesel stored in clear plastic fuel container,when i came to use it there was water in the bottom and asticky brown residue.being tight fisted i decanted slowly into clear glass container and then used it.i scraped the residue out,and over afew days it hardened into a sticky toffee,was the fuel better without the add,s,it did not cause trouble. re john.
Yeah, that's a rather common issue about E10, there's some residue decanting and covering the inside of what contains it (jerrycans if you're lucky, your car's tank and pipes if you aren't).
I've heard that there's a way to circumvent this issue but I don't remember exactly what it was (an additive? A new type of fuel?) so it may be false for what I know.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

PMcP82 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:23 pm
john newton wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:15 am i had 5 galls diesel stored in clear plastic fuel container,when i came to use it there was water in the bottom and asticky brown residue.being tight fisted i decanted slowly into clear glass container and then used it.i scraped the residue out,and over afew days it hardened into a sticky toffee,was the fuel better without the add,s,it did not cause trouble. re john.
Yeah, that's a rather common issue about E10, there's some residue decanting and covering the inside of what contains it (jerrycans if you're lucky, your car's tank and pipes if you aren't).
I've heard that there's a way to circumvent this issue but I don't remember exactly what it was (an additive? A new type of fuel?) so it may be false for what I know.
I didn't think Ethanol was in Diesel ? They mix in Bio-Diesel instead of Ethanol.
https://knowyourfuel.campaign.gov.uk/
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »