The last ever Moggy Minor

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blastercas
MMOC Member: No

The last ever Moggy Minor

Post by Blastercas »

Hello Moggy owners my name is David Caster and unfortunately I don’t own a Morris Minor, I own a 2001 Smart Cabriolet ForTwo 450.
I joined the site in order to ask members do they know what ever happened to the very last Morris Minor which was not a van like I have read.......let me explain. When Morris ceased production in was it 1971
I was 11 years old, I think this was in 1972/73 when this occurred.......I was watching news at ten on Tyne Tees tv when at the end of the show the “and finally” segment of news at ten, announced that an old chap wanted a new Morris Minor traveller and the Morris factory built him one from parts that were still aplenty in the factory......the Morris Marina was in production.......does anyone know the full story of this and does the car still exist?
Thank you for any replies that you might give.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: The last ever Moggy Minor

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi David,
Yes, it does. It's on an 'N' plate, so that would make it 1975 I believe.
Manufactured by special order from spare parts, still readily available at the time (as you said), including the essential 'new shell', for a chap who had always had new Morris Minors and wasn't going to settle for anything less!
I saw it at the MMOC National at Catton hall in 2016. Pictures below.
I don't know if the owner is on this forum though?
Best wishes,
Mike.
DSCF2736(1).JPG
DSCF2736(1).JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 569 times
DSCF2734(1).JPG
DSCF2734(1).JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 569 times
DSCF2733(1).JPG
DSCF2733(1).JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 569 times
Hello Moggy owners my name is David Caster and unfortunately I don’t own a Morris Minor, I own a 2001 Smart Cabriolet ForTwo 450.
PS: Time you chopped that 'Smart' thing in for a real car then..................... :wink:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Was it the "last" though? I know of an "R"registration saloon (1976/77) which was assembled from a new bodyshell and parts, and an "X" registration Traveller which was also built as a new car at the beginning of the 1980s. The Traveller was for sale recently.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Interesting......
I believe the 'N' reg one pictured was assembled 'officially' by a dealership and registered by them, were the two you mention done through BL dealerships or privately assembled and registered? If so that may be why the owner of this one was stating it was the 'last one'...…..
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Blastercas

Post by Blastercas »

:D thanks very much for the information and photos, I have wondered about that car for absolutely years. It's so intriguing to learn that there is a R and X registered Morris Minor.
I am unfortunately disabled but I would have loved to take a Minor in mint condition and fit modern disc brakes all round and fit a two litre turbo diesel modern interior and instrumentation. Been a dream for over 25 years

Regards the Smart it's got a lot of history. The car was purchased new by a lady in Richmond near London, she imported the car as Smart had no plans to sell cabriolet Smarts in the UK, so was a grey import, imported by SmartsRUs she then commissioned them to trim the interior in red leather, had Sportiva alloys fitted bilstein shockers an a itg filter with power scoop the exhaust system is stainless steel and very sporty sounding, the ECU was fiddled with to take the BHP from 61 to 72, it's got about 72000 miles on now we paid£4000 for the car on eBay because the car is left hand drive, the lady who bought the car paid £13000 for it in 2001, and it only had 4000kms and we have all the history with the car we purchased it in 2004 just after its first mot.

Like many Moggies it's part of the family.
Thank you again guys