Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Sally's NMP plate

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I am in the process of renovating / restoring my Series 2 and have just stripped out all the old brake pipes to replace them with Cunifer, not just because they are old and tatty but because I intend to use silicone fluid this time round, so I need a clean system.
In removing the union and brake light sensor from the front of the engine bay I realised how grimy it was, so decided to give it a clean and 'tart up' (she will be a working Minor, so I'm not interested in concourse, just clean and tidy). In doing so I discovered what must be the original NMP plate at the front on the passenger side (pictures below).
I have seen allot of posts on this subject over the years but just to clarify, is there any significance to this plate and the number on it or is it just a nice (to still have in place) curio?
I know allot of people are upset that theirs have rotted away or have never been replaced when a replacement panel was welded in, to the extent that these are now remanufactured I believe.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Sally's NMP plate.JPG
Sally's NMP plate.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 1776 times
Sally's engine bay prior to tart up.JPG
Sally's engine bay prior to tart up.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1776 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Sally's NMP plate

Post by philthehill »

To me it is important that the plate is in place as it is tied in with the number plate screwed to the bulkhead on the N/S just under the bonnet seal.
The number on the bulkhead can be unscrewed and changed - the plate you refer to cannot be easily changed and gives a provenance
that the bulkhead plate cannot.

If I was looking to purchase a shell I would be looking to see that both plates are in place and the numbers correspond.

Having all the number helps in identifying the vehicle.

Phil

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

If I was looking to purchase a shell I would be looking to see that both plates are in place and the numbers correspond.
Thought I'd better check after that point, fortunately it's a match. :D

Sally's engine bay is now feeling a little grey......... Clarendon Grey to be precise......
Like I said it's just a tart / tidy up (all rust treated before painting though) but its looks allot better than it did, even good......... from a distance! :lol:
She wears her scars well! :wink:

The outside will eventually be properly painted, by someone who knows what they are doing...... :lol:
That will be a 'screens out' job, so I'm really looking forward to that..............
Best wishes,
Mike.
Sally's engine bay after the tart up.JPG
Sally's engine bay after the tart up.JPG (1019.67 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

How should the chassis and pressing numbers correlate?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Ian
Looking at the chassis plates on my own Minor there does not appear to be a correlation between the body stamped numbers on the bulkhead, the vehicle identification plate the plate below the bonnet seal and the NMP plate. The only correlation appears to be between the plate below the bonnet seal and the NMP plate. Seperatly the vehicle identification plate and the body stamped numbers.
Others may have a view.
There are two numbers on the NMP plate and those are replicated on the plate under the bonnet seal.

There is a second plate under the bonnet seal but unfortunately it is somewhat covered in fiberglass (to fireproof the bulkhead holes) so is not fully readable.

Regards and stay safe

Phil

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Hi Phil,

On my ‘54 there are two small plates under the top bonnet seal and above the fuel pump. One repeats the numbers from the NMP plate, the smaller one says BM118404 which bears no relation to any other number on the car so that one’s a mystery.

I’m sending you a PM.

Ian
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Ian
Got the PM and have replied.

I have the second plate with numbers also.

If I remember correctly there was a post (or posts) on here relating to and explaining the background to the second number plate but have yet to find it

Here is a selection of relative posts to consider

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... s&start=60

Phil

smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

POMMReg is the guy who would know I beleive.
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by jaekl »

I understand it's the body count, the sequential number of units of the "Z" body style. It was also stamped in the NMP plate.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The second plate from the left looking from the front of the car and situated under the bonnet seal does not have the NMP number stamped on it.
The first plate from the left looking from the front of the car and situated under the bonnet seal does have the same number as the NMP plate.
Phil

Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Engine bay is looking very smart Mike. :D
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Tidier than it did Ian.
It's coming together now the wiring is back in place, new cunifer brake pipes, horn etc., a way to go yet though and there will come a point where the lockdown will hold things up.
Ironic, because it's given me the time to really crack on but there will come a point where I need the involvement of others......
C'est la vie.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Apologies for hijacking your thread.
My '65 2 door also has the original NMP plate fitted but the tie plate is goosed and will need to be replaced.
I intend to refit the NMP plate to the new Tie plate even though the panel will not be original, just to keep it with the car.

I don't have any plans to sell my Minor so its just for my own pleasure.

But will people think my Minor is a ringer with the old plate fitted to a new panel??

Each to their own.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I wouldn’t worry about it, plenty of Minors have replacement tie plates with or without the NMP plate. You could always keep a photo record of the work.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As Ian says, don't worry and just refit it.
You will probably actually gain 'bonus points', as so many on here are upset by the fact that their NMP plates have just been discarded when the panel has been replaced on so many Minors in the past.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Chipper »

I for one, am quite glad mine wasn't refitted following replacement of the tie panel (along with nearside chassis leg), because they tend to trap moisture underneath and cause a rust spot.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

For those worried about moisture with their already fitted plate, Dynatrol with the help of capillary action will penetrate underneath.