Mini tilting car lifts: how good, how useful?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Mini tilting car lifts: how good, how useful?

Post by Oldmogman »

I came across this mini tilting lift in my search for an alternative to a garage inspection pit, and wondered if anyone has used one?

https://cjautosheywood.co.uk/product/1- ... lift-cl03/

How good are they? And what are they like to use?

I'd also be interested to hear from those who have one whether it's something they use often for routine maintenance or, like an inspection pit, if it's more the sort of thing you need for jobs such as a clutch replacement or a major rebuild?
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Mini tilting car lifts: how good, how useful?

Post by ampwhu »

very good question. I think this one would be better

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... ting-lift/

the one you mentioned in non-adjustable. the one I have put a link to is adjustable.

question I always asked is it would require additional jacking bits as i'd not really like to rest my 65 year old car on its sills. its structurally sound, but one never can be to sure.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

To me they look scary things to spend time under. Dig a pit ! :D

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I conducted my own research onto these exact lifts as CJ Autos are not far from me.

My garage is just wide enough with my workbench and vice etc to get a Morris Minor in and open both doors, length wise I have a few feet fore and aft to move round when working.

The lift you mention has to be slid under the vehicle from the side then jacked up, I couldn't see the benefit of having a lift getting in the way for the majority of the time only to be useful when working on the suspension.

I therefore looked at it this way, how many times will it be used versus how annoying it would be knocking about the garage getting in the way.

In the end I opted to stick with my trolley jack and invested in a pair of decent axle stands which raise the car way beyond what is needed.

Another point, the lift sits on the sills so both the Crossmember and jacking point (if still in place) will cause issues with the car rocking on the lift.

Access is not great as you have to clamber over the frame to work on say the gearbox or propshaft.

All in all a nice idea if you are regularly working on brakes or suspension on a modern flat floor vehicle but for a classic there are better options.

Unfortunately my garage is built over a storm drain so I cannot dig a pit, but if I could I would.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I have the adjustable tilting lift from Automotech.

It adjusts far enough so that it can lift the car by the chassis legs rather than the sills, I suspect my car's sills wouldn't appreciate that too! For lifting the rear it can go wide enough to support the car by the leaf springs or simply go under the axle. I'm yet to try lifting the car and tilting it forwards on the chassis legs. Makes jobs like brake bleeding and adjustment an absolute doddle.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.