Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Wheely idle speculation!

Post by Oldmogman »

Is there a ‘correct’ position for steering wheels?

Leafing through a Morris book, lavishly illustrated with period brochures and photographs, I noticed different steering wheel positions for older Minors with ‘banjo’ type wheels.

In some pictures, the wheel is shown with one spoke upright at the 12 o’clock position, and the other two slanting down at eight and four o’clock, with the roadwheels in the straight-ahead position. However, in others it’s shown the opposite way round, with the spokes pointing upwards at the ten and two position.

Aesthetically, I think the second position with the two spokes pointing upwards (smiley face!) looks far better than the other way (frowny face!), and that’s how I’ve fitted mine. (You’ll notice watches are usually photographed with their hands in the ten-to-two position.)

So is there a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way? Or did it just depend on the whim of the person fitting steering wheels on the assembly line?
It’s not an issue either way, of course – everyone has their own preferences - but I couldn’t help wondering. Like I say, just wheely idle speculation!
ianmack
Minor Addict

Re: Wheely idle speculation!

Post by ianmack »

I’ve always understood that the ‘one spoke up’ position is advisable. The ‘one spoke down’ position means that the single spoke is pointing into the driver’s lap with possibly dire consequences in an accident.

Of course this assumes that the car crashes with the steering straight ahead which isn’t necessarily the case.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

The hornpush (with the "M" badge) can only be fitted one way without modification I think. Therefore that dictates the steering wheel position which is with the "single spoke up".
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Mine is single spoke up, mainly so I get a clear view of my extra dials that I fitted in the glove box panel.
But I agree the safety aspect is very valid as well.

Phil
Oldmogman
Minor Fan

Post by Oldmogman »

Yes, I also considered the safety angle but, as you say, that's assuming a crash happens with the wheels straight ahead, so it's probably an unlikely reason.

Besides, many other cars of the period sported steering wheels with two-spokes up and one down, including my old MkI Consul. Ditto the Vitesse, MG TD, Vanguard etc, not to mention all the sportscars that have been fitted with Moto Lita-type wheels. And many Yanks followed the practice well into the 60s, including the Corvette, Charger and GTO.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Oldmogman wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:16 pm Yes, I also considered the safety angle but, as you say, that's assuming a crash happens with the wheels straight ahead, so it's probably an unlikely reason.

Besides, many other cars of the period sported steering wheels with two-spokes up and one down, including my old MkI Consul. Ditto the Vitesse, MG TD, Vanguard etc, not to mention all the sportscars that have been fitted with Moto Lita-type wheels. And many Yanks followed the practice well into the 60s, including the Corvette, Charger and GTO.
Surely any sensible designer is going to require a 3 spoke steering wheel to be at the 2, 6, and 10 o'clock positions, just so that the Instruments can be seen...?

I'm not sure that it can be ascertained 100% that a car interior showing a 12 o'clock position actually has the wheels straight ahead. I've not seen a photo which clearly shows both the steering wheel position and the front wheels.
But who knows what went on in the beginning....
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Would not have it any other way - as is I can clearly see the instruments.
The steering wheel/column has been lowered about 3" which helps.
The steering wheel is 14" OD Mountney and has been on the car for many years and the leather rim has a nice feel to it.
100_1256.JPG
100_1256.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1122 times

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Nice clean layout Phil ! Next time you’re in the cockpit could you measure the depth of recess in the side panels please, I’m wondering if they would be deep enough for some speakers. Incidentally I made a steering wheel once, duralumin spokes and wooden rim turned on faceplate. Lost when my Mini was stolen, I still have a list of all that went missing on that day. As you might guess, the upset doesn’t go away.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
Thanks for the nice clean layout comment. One does try. :D

The recess is 45mm (max) deep.

Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks Phil, I think that is room enough for what I have in mind.

Oldmogman
Minor Fan

Post by Oldmogman »

That's certainly one purposeful interior, Phil!

But I'm curious. What's the big red light in the middle of the dash? A Mach 2 velocity indicator? Or maybe a wallet-aware over-rev warning light, perhaps?!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ejector seat button! :lol:
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Red usually means danger, I wonder if its a low oil pressure light.
When I used to autotest in my old mini I used to have a big red light almost immediately in front of my steering wheel which was a low oil pressure light.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The big red light is the ignition warning light which illuminates if the engine stops.
Wearing a helmet and fire retardant balaclava you cannot always hear the engine even when running over the noise of the SC/CR gearbox.
The blue cross box below the red light is the adjustable rev limiter which is currently set to 7500rpm.
The oil pressure warning light green is connected to a special low oil pressure switch which is set to illuminate at about 28psi. The oil pressure warning light may be small but is perfectly sited and adequately illuminated right in front off me adjacent to the oil pressure gauge.

Phil