Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
53lake
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller Rear Door Hinges

Post by 53lake »

Is there a difference between the top and bottom hinges? Obviously right differs from left, but what about top/bottom? I've studied the ones that came off my doors (having failed to note which was which when I took them off) and can't see an obvious difference. Are the letter marks on the castings something to go by? I do see e-bay offers of hinges that specify right/left, top/bottom, but I'm not sure if that's a good guide. Thanks for any insight.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Traveller Rear Door Hinges

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes. They ARE different. I can't remember the difference offhand but they definitely are - due to the different angles required.
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by pgp001 »

You can see on the back view of my traveller that the hinges are slightly different, the top ones have a bit of an angle to them.

These are the part numbers:-

Top-RH AFF 538
Top-LH AFF 539
Bottom-RH AFF 540
Bottom-LH AFF 541

Phil
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

You can confirm by checking the hinge pin line. It should be a straight line from top to bottom. One combination will obviously be wrong.
53lake
Minor Friendly

Post by 53lake »

Great responses, THANKYOU! The pic makes it very clear.

One more quick question if anyone can help - the rear backing plate that the license plate fixes to is rusted out, but I can't seem to locate a new one. You can get a front backing plate easily enough, but the rear traveler one is longer to accommodate the lamp holders. I could make one from a piece of aluminum, but easier to buy the right thing. Anyone know a supplier. Can't see it either on ESM or Charles Ware.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

One more quick question if anyone can help - the rear backing plate that the license plate fixes to is rusted out
Hi,
Is this of any help (link below)?
Also I believe Bull Motif used to do one, try ringing ESM, as they took over their stock lines and surplus stock, to see if they have one not listed on their site.
ESM: 01580 200203 to speak to a human :P (open until 5.00pm).
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... BBm&adurl=
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
53lake
Minor Friendly

Post by 53lake »

Thanks Mike, no, ESM doesn't have it (asked the human person). Guess I'm into making one :D . Of course, it's 24-1/2" long, and standard hardware store aluminum sheet here in the USA is 24". Off to the local welding shop.
bufferzone
Minor Friendly

Post by bufferzone »

The backing plate is available here:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/support-n ... soc=138154