Dash ashtray - What to replace it with?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Dash ashtray - What to replace it with?

Post by jagnut66 »

I have one , but have fitted it with a LED bulb , should be safe for all night long..
Good idea. I was also thinking of attaching it to a 12V connector (link below), so I could power it from my in car socket.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Caravan- ... xyrM5TH0U1
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

jagnut66 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:55 pm
I did in fact buy it. I watched it and the seller sent an offer of £22, so I snagged it!
Hi Andy,
Well done, that was cheap. :D
It will probably want repairing though, if you're not doing it yourself then I can recommend JDO Instruments.
I have used them for speedos in the past and my clock, I will be going back to them when the time comes to re-calibrate my speedo.
I have attached a link below if you want to check them out.
Best wishes,
Mike.

http://www.jdo1.com/
Another good shout. My Speedo has never read the right speed. Apparently I was doing 70mph through my estate a last drive. Don't think the 803 will even sniff that speed!
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I'm not convinced even a Valve Radio Receiver would require an Alternator. Even these guys would only have had a Dynamo..... :lol:
As an aside Berni, the Riley in your photo may still exist.
HDF 398: Riley, 2443cc, colour still shows as Black, first registered in May 1948.
It is still on the DVLA database, the last logbook was issued in 1984. Though it is currently untaxed.......
The Riley RM series cars are another I am a fan of.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

This one currently on ebay has an original marked price of 10/6!
Not anymore Berni, I bought it! :D
Couldn't resist it for £15. Bit more expensive than the 10/6 I was hoping to get away with paying though........ :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:43 pm
This one currently on ebay has an original marked price of 10/6!
Not anymore Berni, I bought it! :D
Couldn't resist it for £15. Bit more expensive than the 10/6 I was hoping to get away with paying though........ :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
:lol: :lol:
You might have got a good deal there Mike, seeing as it was still boxed. I can remember my Dad having a similar one in the early-mid 60s and often consider a purchase when I see one in a collection of bits at an autojumble. :)
Why do I say a 'good deal'? Well this one is boxed, and the original RRP was 13/6!
It's not even complete as the Seller says the Plug/Socket are missing. The original Plug/Socket would have been a small 2 pin arrangement.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1960 ... SwyIlemEeX
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

It's not even complete as the Seller says the Plug/Socket are missing. The original Plug/Socket would have been a small 2 pin arrangement.
So 10/6 would have been fair then! :P
I can get round this with the adapter plug I mentioned in an earlier post, which will allow me to use it in the modern 12V outlet I have added to my car for convenience.
The adapter is a DIY job, so all removable, if someone later inherits it and wants to put it back to original spec.
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Sorry Berni,
I've just spotted (checked out your link) that you have moved onto another one, which is priced at 13/6, as you said.
I like the design of this one too, I wonder what he'd say if I offered him £15?...................... :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

This is what I did to my ashtray, lots of years ago.
I know how rare these are now - but still think it looks better modified!

Alan

https://postimg.cc/qgQSp0q1
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

alanworland wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:59 pm This is what I did to my ashtray, lots of years ago.
I know how rare these are now - but still think it looks better modified!

Alan

https://postimg.cc/qgQSp0q1
That looks amazing! Lots of buttons and knobs... What do they do?
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

From the right on the additional panel, windscreen washer pump, wiper switch (original wiper switch position is now a flashing alarm led), interior light switch (no door switches), high beam indicator, panel light switch, electric fan 'on' indicator and electric fan over ride switch.
To the right is a couple of auxiliary sockets with battery charge indicator led's - in red, amber and green!

Alan
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

That panel hole would make a fancy charger socket for an I-phone.
Cardiff, UK