Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Too good to use on the road...

Post by Murrayminor »

That comment was associated to a 1968 Morris Minor saloon for sale at Charles Ware's for a staggering £21,950.
It was in an article in the Classic Car weekly Newspaper where they are saying your hard earned savings are safe invested in a Morris Minor.

But nearly £22k for a car that is deemed too good to use, that's crazy or am I out of touch with values?

I have looked at the car on the website and no doubt it is wonderful and in better than showroom condition, but does a car have a soul, does not running a car cause it to decay even quicker?

If I had that kind of money I would personally prefer a very tidy usable car.

Each to their own I suppose.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Re: Too good to use on the road...

Post by Owlsman »

I've just has a look at the few pictures available here https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/mo ... tv35675699 and I've got to say, the 'fit' of the two front seat coverings doesn't look great.

For that sort of money, I would want absolute perfection...….and beyond!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

That is a well known car in MMOC circles and was restored by a club member in his home workshop several years ago to concours standards. He certainly didn't think it "too good to use" and drove it to every National Rally and to events and shows all over the country for many years. It is a first rate car.
As for values......It is worth whatever somebody will pay but interesting to see it now for sale at more than double the price he sold it for not so very long ago.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I've said it before and I'm sure I'm going to upset a few on here by saying it again, there is no way on God's green earth that I would pay that kind of money for any Morris Minor (or many other classic cars for that matter), however good its condition.
In my opinion you would have to be raving mad to do so.
Asking that kind of money smacks of pure greed to me, outrageous!
Also there are plenty of perfectly good cars out there for half that, or less.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

Agree Mike. A fool and his money often part.

I'd value that car at no more than 8K without looking at it. My modified series 2 is better and I value that at 8K.

That will gather dust at that price
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Completely agree with Jagnut66.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Don't get me wrong its a beautiful example but some of the prices asked by dealers are outrageous and as mentioned above someone will want it and buy it whatever the price.

I really think the modern society has lost all value of money, an example of which is a young lad who lives near me.

He has just bought, not leased, but bought a Mercedes C43 AMG which with his added matt paint, fancy leather interior, huge wheels cost him in the region of £60k.

He is paying the best part of £1100 per month for that car but moans that the car is heavy on petrol, the £60k he spent on it is never mentioned!!
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you’re lucky enough to have the money, it must be difficult to resist spending it, rather than leaving it in the bank.

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

He could have bought 2.75 Morris Minors for that money.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Would that be the front three quarters or the rear three quarters? :wink:

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Best have the front three-quarters if the engine and gearbox are good!
But, seriously, some people must be willing to pay these silly prices or dealers wouldn't be selling them.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

As folks say, some people are daft enough to pay these prices, but it has unintended consequences for everyone else. This just raises the baseline price (or the expected price - for some sellers !) of other Morris's. Even if this sells with a bit of discount, all of a sudden folks think a good four door is worth £15k+

True, the car probably cost that to restore to such a standard, but the cost of restoration does not necessarily equal the value of the car !
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

philthehill wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:21 am Would that be the front three quarters or the rear three quarters? :wink:
Not necessarily.
Attachments
Three quarter Morris Minor.jpg
Three quarter Morris Minor.jpg (510.93 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Well at least now I feel quite relaxed about how much I'm spending restoring our Clarence. He wont be concourse but a joy to drive.
Plus the pleasure I'm getting doing the work. Somethings you just cant buy :lol:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

philipkearney wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:44 am True, the car probably cost that to restore to such a standard, but the cost of restoration does not necessarily equal the value of the car !
I agree that professional restoration to that standard would have cost far more than a cars value but, as I said earlier, that particular car was restored by the owner at home. He carried out all the welding, spraying, trimming etc in his spare time and only farmed out the re-chroming and some engine machining. The car went on to win concours events at National level and win the MMOC Grand Masters concours award. Quite an achievement.

Although spending £20,000 on a Morris Minor might seem absurd to many, there will be a number of members on this forum who have done so in order to achieve their desires. A new "ordinary car" like a Golf or Focus costs at least that sum now, will depreciate rapidly and give very little real pleasure. To me personally, a Morris Minor is still an ideal inexpensive second car which I can maintain, repair and tinker with myself and costs me next to nothing but Morris Minor ownership means different things to different people I suppose and we must embrace all :)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The car is being sold by a dealer. I never buy from a dealer because I don't want to pay their wages.