Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Rustproofing question

Post by Mark Wilson »

I'm about to commence rustproofing my Traveller, which has been bare metalled and totally rebuilt, so no existing rust to deal with. I've primed and painted every nook and cavity, but there will be areas where welding has left vulnerable spots.

I've a couple of containers of Dinitrol, which I bought years ago, and intend to apply this with a high pressure spray gun using the flexi tube down the chassis legs, behind the hinge pillars etc. I've heard that Dinitrol is good at getting into seams etc, but not so good at staying in place over the long term. So I'm thinking of following it up with Waxoyl in the same areas, as this apparently clings to the surfaces longer. Is this a good idea, or will the Dinitrol prevent the Waxoyl from adhering?

(I'm not intending to spray the underside external surfaces at the moment - I painted these with Brantho Korrux paint (used for oil rigs, apparently) followed by stonechip coloured with topcoat. If that shows any sign of failure in the future I'll spray with one of the clear wax products then)

Mark
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Rustproofing question

Post by pgp001 »

Mark

Before you use any other products, have a look at Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 for internal chassis sections and Dynax UB for external use.

I have just given my own Traveller the full treatment and am extremely pleased with both those products.
There is a university test document that demonstrates the long term performance of various products, and these are head and shoulders above all the competition.
http://www.bilthamber.com/media/downloa ... 13-001.pdf

Also you get a discount as an MMOC member if you ask nicely.

Are we going to see you out and about in yours any time soon ?

We have just had a little 12 mile jaunt to Ilkley and back this evening, it's the first time it has left the drive for nearly eight months.

Phil
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

pgp001 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:02 pm Mark

Before you use any other products, have a look at Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 for internal chassis sections and Dynax UB for external use.

I have just given my own Traveller the full treatment and am extremely pleased with both those products.
There is a university test document that demonstrates the long term performance of various products, and these are head and shoulders above all the competition.
http://www.bilthamber.com/media/downloa ... 13-001.pdf

Also you get a discount as an MMOC member if you ask nicely.

We have just had a little 12 mile jaunt to Ilkley and back this evening, it's the first time it has left the drive for nearly eight months.

Phil
The results are quite compelling, I think I may have a look at the product whilst I have my own car apart.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Two other products worth investigating and which I have used to good effect on my cars are Supertrol - which seems to be available only in aerosol cans nowadays. I recently bought 10 large cans on ebay from R C Components which will last me a long time! Also, Ankor Wax which is sold by Morris Oils is very good. Waxoyl - which everybody has heard of - is too thick in my opinion to work very well inside box sections. It can be thinned down of course but there are better products around now. Still a lot better than nothing however!
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks all, will look into those products. Might save the Dinitrol for my camper van,
whiich is more expendable!
pgp001 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:02 pm

Phil
Fairly soon by my standards, probably a couple of months. Just the windscreen, headlining, complete interior, retouching and polishing.... 😎
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Sent you a PM

Phil