Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andymoor94
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Choke lever swap

Post by Andymoor94 »

So the cable came and the swap was relatively simple for the first part. Detach the original from choke, remove the nut behind the dash, pull it through. Simple.

Install was easy. Push the first few inches of cable through dash, thread nut over, thread cable through firewall, pull through, tighten nut.

But the cable was too short, because I have some blasted different carb which finds itself somewhat three inches further from the engine. Thankfully, being a VeloSolex enthusiast, cables and cable stops are all too common in my workshop, so I was quickly able to concoct a solution, attached.
Attachments
20200615_075451.jpg
20200615_075451.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 440 times
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The choke lever is mounted on the wrong side of the carb.
Without looking at your particular carb some if not all H type carb allow for the choke lever to be fitted to the right or left of the carb body. Fit the choke lever the correct way round and your choke cable will be right.

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:07 am The choke lever is mounted on the wrong side of the carb.
Without looking at your particular carb some if not all H type carb allow for the choke lever to be fitted to the right or left of the carb body. Fit the choke lever the correct way round and your choke cable will be right.
Cheers Phil. It's obviously working as is without interfering, so I'll keep as is until I either source an original carb or get the 950 installed
Eugene - My daily driver
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

What is the tag number which is on the plate under the float chamber nut as you appear to have a original type carb but with the choke arm fitted on the wrong side.

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I fitted the same one last week (didn't manage to repair the one I'd messed up :( ) but I had to reduce the length of the outer cable to allow the inner to reach from the bracket to the lever.
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:18 pm What is the tag number which is on the plate under the float chamber nut as you appear to have a original type carb but with the choke arm fitted on the wrong side.
Forgot about this. I'm going to be under the hood later, so I'll have a look. All I know is there's a series of flanges and adapters leading from engine to carb
Eugene - My daily driver