Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

WD 40

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Interesting piece in Minor Matters about WD40 and Duct Tape; however, I am sure there was an article about WD40 many years ago in the magazine that stated that WD 40 stood for 'Water Dispersal for 40 days'. After about 40 days WD40 actually attracts water and makes steel rusty. My neighbour has got one of those multi positional ladders; one autumn he sprayed all of the joints with WD 40 before putting it away for the winter. In the spring all of the joints were completely seized up and immovable.

I think 'Water Dispersal for 40 days' is right.
tomb1963
Minor Friendly

Re: WD 40

Post by tomb1963 »

I thought it was because the preceding 39 formulae didn't work!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The company's own website gives a history of the product: https://wd40.co.uk/about-us/ which confirms that it was the 40th attempt that worked.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Maybe stuffedpike20’s neighbour used WD39, mistakenly put in a WD40 can. :o

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

All I know is that one time I had some small nails in a jam jar that I wanted to preserve, so I sprayed WD40 into the jar and put them on the shelf. When I came to use them they had turned into one solid lump of rust, and were not recognisable as nails.
IMHO WD40 is highly over rated in every way, and the only good thing about it is that it smells quite nice.

There have been all kinds of stories about WD40 over the years; one of which was that is was a preservative for ladies nylon tights.

One time I bought some freeing oil (I think from Wilko). When applied to seized nuts and bolts it actually SMOKED. Everything came undone. It blew WD40 out of the water. Not surprisingly it was withdrawn from sale a short time later.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

The marketing people at WD40 have worked wonders, people swear by the product but its actual use in a garage it fairly limited.
There are better options out there, in fact any of the penetrating fluids on the market available at most motor factors are better than WD40.

Having said that I usually have a tin in the garage but its mainly used to remove tar spots from my daily car or used when cleaning engine parts.

Great for some things but rubbish at others.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

good for lighting fires,good for cleaning oil and paint off hands,good as a fish attractor on bait,never found it much good for nuts and bolts.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Good as a fish attractor is it? How did you find that out? If I spray my pike lures before using them, am I going to catch more pike? Fantastic! I need all the help I can get!

I bought the Wilko version of 3 in 1 oil a few years ago, and put it on my bike chain. A few weeks later I went to use my bike, and the chain was completely solid with rust. It could not have done a better job of rusting the metal. Maybe the Wilko oil was actually WD 40.
I think it is better than that now.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

I use it as a cutting fluid when milling or turning aluminium, probably more the cooling effect than lubrication but gives a decent finish.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

simmitc wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:05 pm The company's own website gives a history of the product: https://wd40.co.uk/about-us/ which confirms that it was the 40th attempt that worked.
As I suspected, a US American product heavily marketed world wide, no doubt with a profit margin in three digit percentage proportions but as far as the experience of its users goes, diplomatically put, "giving less than satisfactory results".
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I rather like Duck Oil.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Will that help me catch more pike?
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

:D Worth a try!
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

SteveClem wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 am I rather like Duck Oil.
I don't think it would be any use to me - my ducks don't squeak, they quack.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Well never used it my self ( I'm only a trout fly fisherman and occasional salmon) because any additive to flies is banned on the waters I use , but was bandied about on several fly fishing forums,that keeping flies in a bag of wd greatly enhanced takes. Apparently the main ingredient of WD is concentrated fish oil,so I can see why it would attract. I know of one fisherman who was banned from one of our waters,because he was seen regularly swapping lures from a bag instead of a box,catching one or two fish,then swapping the lure.FOR AN IDENTICAL one same size ,colour and method of fishing . This lead the bailiff to assume that after a few casts the oil washed off and so on went a freshly soaked one,the angler didn't protest when he was challenged so suppose he knew he had been rumbled.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I would imagine, the methods used is dependant on the reason for fishing, if the idea is to kill the fish then I suppose any trick would be used. However for the person who cares to release a fish, perhaps the conventional way is more rewarding.

sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

i've recently bought a can of 'GT85'..not tried it yet,but supposed to be better than wd40..

not sure about it's fishing capabilities either :lol:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I swear by 'Plusgas' for releasing things.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Guess who owns the GT85 brand? Answer: WD40.
Guess who bought the 3-in-1 brand? Answer: WD40.
Anyone feeling paranoid?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

A case for the monopolies commission??
As long as they don't takeover Plusgas.............. :-?
best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)