Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jamiet
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Silicone heater hose size

Post by Jamiet »

Hi
Am currently fitting new all silicone hoses. Came to the heater hoses and noted impossible to use the rubber grommets as the silicone hose from a well known supplier is much thicker than standard rubber hose. Anyone think it’s a possible problem ignoring the grommets? I would have thought over time the bare metal would chafe if left un- grommeted. I have the old style valve on mine and on inspection found the ally base plate cracked. This has added to my list of jobs.....
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Silicone heater hose size

Post by philthehill »

You must include the grommets otherwise the hoses will chafe on the bulkhead.

It should be noted that later BMC/BL heater hoses are 16mm inside diameter so have a larger outside diameter than the standard 1/2" inside diameter Minor heater hoses.

As an aside - I have just replaced some of the hoses on my Minor and originally purchased good quality silicon hoses to suit - but after fitting decided that the rubber hoses were a better option so the silicon hoses were relegated to the spares shelf and rubber hoses fitted instead.

Jamiet
Minor Friendly

Post by Jamiet »

Thanks Phil. Have to say I agree and have done the same and fitted a rubber set. The silicone ones will also remain as spares.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have silicone heater hoses and, whilst it was tight, I managed to get them through the bulkhead with the rubber grommets in place, so it can be done.
Best wishes,
Mike.
948 engine in place (2).JPG
948 engine in place (2).JPG (378.75 KiB) Viewed 433 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)