Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
darrenj
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

help with my suspension please

Post by darrenj »

On looking at my car, 4 door saloon 1959, I can see that the drivers side is lower on the rear than the passenger side, on looking closer I have approx a 1" difference from side to side, I have noticed the leaf springs on drivers side look almost flat but a nice curve on the other side, will a refurb sort this out or do I need a replacement spring, all the brackets and floor are solid and not twisted, thanks in advance.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: help with my suspension please

Post by philthehill »

You need to check the suspension heights at all corners as a front suspension weakness can effect the rear suspension.
There is a diagram in the workshop manual for you to check against.
If the front is correct it is most likely a rear spring replacement issue.
I would measure first and come back on here with the results.

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

In the normal course of events sagging springs are remedied by fitting a new pair. Unfortunately at the moment there are quality problems with new springs and a pair I fitted are unpleasantly hard. Unless this is really upsetting you personally I would live with the one inch difference.
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Ok might rebush both anyway, but will look for another set of springs as I don't like that you can see the difference above the wheels, thanks for the advice, Darren.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you are going to re-bush the spring eyes and shackles I would fit poly bushes. Also fit poly top and bottom spring pads.

darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Good tip, cheers Phil 😃
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

While it's all apart you could swap springs left to right?

Alan
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

If I swap left for right then I might as well swap 2/3 leafs from one side to other,it might sit more even until I get new quality ones, so other than rebush I will leave alone, thanks everyone.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you just swop over 2/3 spring leaf's you are raising the possibility of the spring breaking. The spring leaf's get set to the leaf above and below. Either swop the whole spring or leave well alone otherwise replace the springs as a pair.

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I've just trimmed my torsion bars correctly - I'd left the suspension set very approximately after rebuilding (in the garage, not being driven!). I'd been a bit worried about how uneven the back looked, but with the front set correctly the back is now perfect.
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Ok, is the info in the manual as to checking the torsion, if so will make sure that's correct first, otherwise I will wait till i get replacement set of springs, thanks for the thought.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The information in the BMC wksp man is relative to the front suspension and rear suspension heights.

The information relating to setting and trimming the torsion bar is also included in the wksp man.

You must set the front right to determine if the rear suspension are low/high/incorrect.

Check your front suspension against the drawing below to see if adjustment is required. Measurement 'B' is the one to aim for. Trimming is carried out by using the vernier plate fixed to the cross member.
img122.jpg
img122.jpg (301.04 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Cheers Phil, just out of curiosity how long have you worked on minors, cause you seem to be one of the most knowledgeable on here🙃 , will hopefully get round to looking at suspension next week, got 9 days off but a months worth of jobs, thanks again to everyone,🍻 😎 😊 🤞
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I served my mechanics apprenticeship in a BMC main dealership in the late 1960s/early 1970s when Morris Minors were still being sold as new from the factory at Cowley and before the Mini came on the market. So I have been messing around with Minors and other cars mainly BMC/BL for over 50 years.
And for a change here is me driving a Lea Francis at a Prescott vintage meet on the 2nd June 1974.
img118.jpg
img118.jpg (293.49 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

That's a real cool looking car, I can see the minor in the boot, bet there's not many of them about nowadays, my first drive was a Dacia duster think it was E reg 4x4 topless red and black, I was only 18 and if I wanted it I had to move it, never driven before, and yes I know 4x4 is foul language but it was free, never seen another though, gutted.😞
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Hi Darren,

Further to my advice to check the front torsion bar settings, unless your car has been recently restored or very well maintained you will not find it an easy job to reset them as everything tends to rust together. As a quick and easy check put the car on level ground and measure the height from the ground to the wheel arch edge, perpendicular above the centre of the hub, with both tyres inflated the same. From memory mine was about 26", but what you are looking for is for both sides to be the same. If they are then the problem is probably your rear springs. If they aren't the same, then check the settings more accurately as per the workshop manual. Do be very careful about following the instructions for jacking the suspension arm if you do have to dismantle - the torsion bars hold a lot of energy which has to be released carefully or serious injury can result.

Mark
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Thanks for the warning mark, I am hoping it is rear springs, but will measure and check front first, if its the front then I will be back here for step by step, fingers crossed its just rear as I'm 90% sure I can do that, anyway will be back mid week with update, thanks again you wise bunch🙏