1960, 2dr restoration project.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nio
MMOC Member: Yes

1960, 2dr restoration project.

Post by Nio »

Hi, After owning my Morris Minor for the past 24 years I am now thinking of embarking on the restoration. The first year of ownership the car was purchased with 12 months MOT. Unfortunately it would not pass another test thereafter due to a considerable amount of welding required in all of the MM usual places of rot. In preparation I have purchased a MIG welder which I am still practising with to be able to weld to a decent standard. Currently I am not confident to set about the car, not just because of my welding skills but where I would need to start. I was wondering if there is anyone local to me to help and guide me to get started. I live between Mold and Ruthin in North Wales if there is anyone out there with the knowledge to help kick start me and the restoration project I would be extremely grateful. (Once the Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted)
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1960, 2dr restoration project.

Post by kevin s »

I'm in essex so can't come but if you post some pictures or a list of the issues I'm sure many of us will be able to guide you as to how best to get started.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

While you are waiting can I suggest you spend a few hours looking through this thread

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48882&hilit=traveller+restoration

Although it is a traveller 90% of Neil's work is relevant to all Minors. Good luck!

Mark
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Nio wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:53 pm Hi, After owning my Morris Minor for the past 24 years I am now thinking of embarking on the restoration. The first year of ownership the car was purchased with 12 months MOT. Unfortunately it would not pass another test thereafter due to a considerable amount of welding required in all of the MM usual places of rot. In preparation I have purchased a MIG welder which I am still practising with to be able to weld to a decent standard. Currently I am not confident to set about the car, not just because of my welding skills but where I would need to start. I was wondering if there is anyone local to me to help and guide me to get started. I live between Mold and Ruthin in North Wales if there is anyone out there with the knowledge to help kick start me and the restoration project I would be extremely grateful. (Once the Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted)
Hi
I'm a bit far away in Lancashire but I have a few short videos on You Tube that may be of help to you, they show how I'm tackling my own restoration.
Have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsbZsl ... Z08ArjvOjA

If you need to ask any questions fire away, loads of decent information on this forum.

Regards

Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Nio

Post by Nio »

Thanks for getting in touch with me and sharing the restoration thread. I was throughly fascinated throughout and can only say one thing superb step by step guide with a simple commentary. It has certainly got me in the mood, I just need to get the confidence now to get started on mine. I have attached some pictures for you to have a look at, very similar work required to that of the traveller I presume.
Thanks again
Regards
Nigel Edwards
Attachments
089CC9E5-3BCF-46CD-A344-ECF2FFF1DB36.jpeg
089CC9E5-3BCF-46CD-A344-ECF2FFF1DB36.jpeg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 430 times
767CF20E-0FD7-4C67-9577-0EB2A217F65C.jpeg
767CF20E-0FD7-4C67-9577-0EB2A217F65C.jpeg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 430 times
4421A0E3-F6C8-401B-909F-79ABD48BA8BD.jpeg
4421A0E3-F6C8-401B-909F-79ABD48BA8BD.jpeg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 430 times