Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Brass heater warning plaque

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have a brass heater warning plaque that was attached to the heater hose on my series 2 (image below). It was held until I cut it off when renewing the hoses by plastic ties, I would like to reattach it in due course, however they wouldn't have had plastic ties back in the 1950's, so my question is:
How were these secured in place originally? Wax string?
Assuming of course they were attached back then and this isn't a later addition.
Many thanks,
Mike.
DSCF3606(1).JPG
DSCF3606(1).JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1242 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Brass heater warning plaque

Post by les »

I think you’ll find there was a spring clip riveted either side, these clips then pushed onto the pipe closing again when in position. Not sure what the clips are called, —— terry clips, that’s it !
9FB5D82C-5812-4230-A242-F51BD3D4B457.jpeg
9FB5D82C-5812-4230-A242-F51BD3D4B457.jpeg (124.1 KiB) Viewed 1231 times

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Les,
On later models, yes. I even have one of those in my stash, with most of the warning text worn off :roll: ......
On the brass one, pictured in this post, the warning text is engraved into the brass.
You may of course be right, in that this plaque is a later (though useful) addition (and was therefore never riveted to clips, just tied on).
So the question remains, were these fitted in the early 1950's (prior to metal heater pipes running one side of the engine block or the other - my heater pipe feeds directly into the bottom of the rad) and if so how?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Looks like they were originally plated if this reproduction one on ebay is correct.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223998074998

Phil

PS
I just found this supplier of all sorts of different plates, worth a look.

http://www.classicrepro.co.uk/Morris.htm
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

Hi,
I've seen this warning plate in both aluminium and nickel plated brass versions. I know of an early minor 1000 which has the plate attached to the heater supply hose just before to goes through the bulkhead. Twisted metal wire was the attachment method. The heater return hose goes straight to the bottom of the radiator on the early 1000, so no metal pipe for the clip-on type warning plate. I would think the SII is the same as the early minor 1000 in this respect.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Didn’t realise that Mike, should have known there would be variations!

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:44 am Hi Les,
On later models, yes. I even have one of those in my stash, with most of the warning text worn off :roll: ......
On the brass one, pictured in this post, the warning text is engraved into the brass.
You may of course be right, in that this plaque is a later (though useful) addition (and was therefore never riveted to clips, just tied on).
So the question remains, were these fitted in the early 1950's (prior to metal heater pipes running one side of the engine block or the other - my heater pipe feeds directly into the bottom of the rad) and if so how?
Best wishes,
Mike.
Mike
Check out Fig. SS2 in the manual. It would appear to show the location of the plate and it being held most likely IMHO, with twisted wire. I can't see them expecting a bit of string or twine to last long enough.
heater pipes.JPG
heater pipes.JPG (76.66 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Twisted wires on my SII.......
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Check out Fig. SS2 in the manual
Excellent. Thankyou.
I didn't think of looking there, I didn't think the answer would be that straightforward to find.
I shall have to locate some suitable wire now then.
Under it looks to be what I can only assume is some sort of rubber 'O' ring holding the heater pipes together, just below the warning plaque. I don't think I will go looking for one of those though, I would imagine they are long out of production.............
Best wishes,
Mike.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:53 pm

Under it looks to be what I can only assume is some sort of rubber 'O' ring holding the heater pipes together, just below the warning plaque. I don't think I will go looking for one of those though, I would imagine they are long out of production.............
I can't imagine having to disconnect both pipes to fit some sort of rubber ring if it broke. Doesn't meant it wasn't though.... :wink:

Perhaps just some black PVC electrical tape might look the part. I must admit, I've got extra wide black cable ties on mine .
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The pipes were indeed held together with a rubber ring Pt No: AAA3694 which is no longer available and has not been available for some considerable time.

I did have a spare couple of the rubber rings but I gave them to a fellow Minor owner.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Guess what...
I've just discovered someone trying to sell one of these clip on signs on ebay.

It's been relisted listed weekly since originally going up for auction end of March at £40 starter with £10 P&P :o
heater sign.JPG
heater sign.JPG (86.72 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
For the past few weeks it's been down to £18 plus £3.50 P&P... :roll:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor ... SweR1eYPJX
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

It's been relisted listed weekly since originally going up for auction end of March at £40 starter with £10 P&P
Well, I'm not surprised at that price!
I'd expect perfect for that and I still wouldn't pay it! And this one isn't anywhere near perfect.
Obviously hoping to mug someone.....
Best wishes,
Mike.