Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kermit63
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Devon / Cornwall Border Socially Distanced July Run

Post by kermit63 »

I am delighted to report that after three months in lockdown, my Morris Minor 1000 (1957 saloon) is back on the road having been laid-up for four years! So now, I am keen to hit the road in the company of some other Moggies, when the weather is favourable! Anyone fancy a Sunday drive one weekend in July around the Launceston/Tavistock area? Always more fun in a convoy and we could plot a route that takes in some local interesting roads and landmarks. Social distancing of course, as we are not out of the woods yet! Message me or post if you are in the area and might be interested in joining! Cheers all and chins up, we will get back to normal one day! :D
Attachments
FD94AF9E-BEE7-4873-B8C5-B0F0A42716F5.jpeg
FD94AF9E-BEE7-4873-B8C5-B0F0A42716F5.jpeg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2363 times
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Devon / Cornwall Border Socially Distanced July Run

Post by liammonty »

I’m based in Princetown and would love an excuse for a jaunt out!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Great to hear that another Minor is back on the road and that you're champing at the bit to drive it! Unfortunately I'm a long way from Devon/Cornwall and don't get out much but enjoy the drive and hope you get some support :)
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I’m the opposite end of the country I’m afraid but I hope you get some people together for your run. Enjoy :D
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Ok, so am now thinking next Sunday 12th July for this first run! StartImg at Tavistock just inside the main car park on the Plymouth Road (with the leisure centre) at 10am sharp. Then heading to Kit Hill near Callington via Gunnislake. Short rest at the top of Cornwall’s highest viewpoint (to take in the view) and then on to Callington, Launceston and the car park at Roadford Lake. Finally back to Tavistock via Bratton Clovelly, Lewdown and Chillaton (although I will bail out at Lewdown).

Should take no more than a couple of hours max, leaving time to get home for Sunday lunch! Anyone is welcome!

Please confirm if you would like to join, in your Minor or any other classic car if your Minor is off the road! Please note this will be a social distanced run, waves and hellos but no handshakes! 😀

Cheers, David
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

kermit63 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:16 pm Ok, so am now thinking next Sunday 12th July for this first run! StartImg at Tavistock just inside the main car park on the Plymouth Road (with the leisure centre) at 10am sharp. Then heading to Kit Hill near Callington via Gunnislake. Short rest at the top of Cornwall’s highest viewpoint (to take in the view) and then on to Callington, Launceston and the car park at Roadford Lake. Finally back to Tavistock via Bratton Clovelly, Lewdown and Chillaton (although I will bail out at Lewdown).

Should take no more than a couple of hours max, leaving time to get home for Sunday lunch! Anyone is welcome!

Please confirm if you would like to join, in your Minor or any other classic car if your Minor is off the road! Please note this will be a social distanced run, waves and hellos but no handshakes! 😀

Cheers, David
So, Meadowlands car park at 10 am? Sounds good to me. It will be a nice run. It'll spur me in to action to fit my replacement clutch return spring, replace my broken exhaust mount and give the car a service this week!!!
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

All polished up and ready to roll tomorrow. Looks like there will be only two Minors on the run out, plus a back-up car! Anyone else who’d like the join, 10am tomorrow, Sunday, leaving from the Meadows car park in Tavistock. Only a two hour run, but weather should be good! Just turn up and you will be most welcome! Cheers, David
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Well, everything went without a hitch. The two cars met in Tavistock and we spent a very agreeable morning driving up to the top of Kit Hill and then on to Roadford lake via a wide variety of roads. It was really nice to see Liam’s primrose coloured Minor In the rear view mirror and we got a good number of waves, thumbs and smiles as we drove by. In fact we enjoyed it so much, we are planning a drive out every second Sunday each month as long as the weather holds. New runners welcome, just say hello here and we can then get in touch! Cheers, David
Attachments
98524885-D3F1-45D5-8385-FF8D68664077.jpeg
98524885-D3F1-45D5-8385-FF8D68664077.jpeg (304.38 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Thanks for organising it, David! Agreed that it was great fun (even the kids enjoyed it which is a real endorsement!) and we are looking forward to meeting up again soon. Well done on getting your car back on the road and running so well!!
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Just thought I’d say “Hi” as we are moving to Cornwall from the New Forest, Hampshire, in Sept., we will be on the south coast in Seaton, about four miles east of Looe. Maybe I’ll be able to join up in a future jaunt but Benny Morris (my 67 traveller) needs a bit more work before venturing out again.
Mike Shipman,
Seaton, Torpoint, Cornwall.
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Hi Mike. You definitely will not be far from us, indeed I have in my head a run to Hannafore Point in Looe at some point! Also bear in mind that you can join any run in any other car, if you are temporarily without a working Minor! Good luck with the move! Cheers, David :D
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Last minute suggestion from Liam saw us out again today in the company of both his Wolesey Six and Morris Minor. Nice run out from Sourton area, to Moretonhampstead, Bovey Tracey, and back across Dartmoor! Plenty of rain, but also wind and sunny spells. Spotted a burgandy convertible minor outside the motor museum and a traveller in the centre of Mortenhampstead. One again a really enjoyable run!

Next run will be Tavistock to the museum at Moretonhampstead and then on around Dartmoor. Will be in two weeks time, Sunday 9th August. Again all very welcome to join!

Cheers, David
kermit63
Minor Friendly

Post by kermit63 »

Picture from today’s run out, which included part of Dartmoor. 😀
149FE8E1-33AD-4053-AE24-2DAB9057E131.jpeg
149FE8E1-33AD-4053-AE24-2DAB9057E131.jpeg (99.76 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

It was a good day - what a shame that the llamas and alpacas in the trailer behind the cars aren't showing!!! thanks for tolerating the Wolseley as well as the Minor, David! Looking forward to meeting up at Moretonhampstead in a fortnight. It's a super museum.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Thanks for posting the link, Phil. Well worth a visit if you’re in this neck of the woods, though I suspect it’s a little far for a day trip from Hampshire on Sunday!! Are there any other takers for the trip over there on this Sunday 9th?!
Amberb

Post by Amberb »

Hello
Are you guys still going to meet on the second Sunday of September? If so we would love to come along in our new morris minor. She arrived on Wednesday and we are just sorting out her breaks and giving her a wee service. Let us know and we can be there.
Amber and Karl
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Amberb wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:14 pm Hello
Are you guys still going to meet on the second Sunday of September? If so we would love to come along in our new morris minor. She arrived on Wednesday and we are just sorting out her breaks and giving her a wee service. Let us know and we can be there.
Amber and Karl
Congratulations on the new car!!! If you mean the 13th, I may not be around as am planning to head up to Warwickshire for a steam ploughing weekend (I know how to have fun :D ). I’m free pretty much all other weekends though and often up for an ad hoc drive out. David, who initiated our runs out, may well be around though. Good luck with the car, and we hope to meet you soon!