Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Mot advice

Post by midget »

Need advice on MOT procedure please? Just checking my 2 door over for upcoming MOT which I am keen to keep up, and found a hole in the nearside front chassis leg close to the eye bolt. Trouble is, the area has been repaired before my ownership, and am worried that if I merely repair with a patch it may not pass the test. I was told that it was a failure if a previously plated repair was added to with another repair? The existing "patch" was pretty well done, so I dont see much wrong with patching it again?
I am aware that the real long term answer is to replace the whole section, which is an engine out strip.
John
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Mot advice

Post by les »

I had a feeling that repair patches were no allowed If within a certain distance from an area of structure, which may include the eye bolt, Hopefully someone will confirm or correct me.

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

see here item 10 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... -corrosion Without seeing the previous repair,but would suggest that it would be better to cut out the old patch and get a new section welded in as long as its onto sound metal . I would think a tester would be dubious about a patch welded on to an other patch and would fail it.
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks for link which (sort of) confirms what I understood. I will send a picture later today for opinion.
John
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

This should give an indication.
Attachments
n o1.JPG
n o1.JPG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 1370 times
John
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I had a hole that was almost exactly the same. The welder cut it out and added a (very heavy duty) plate and It passed MOT in March.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That hole is very near the eye bolt structure, so it’s guesswork on how a tester would view it. I have a picture of the internal strengthening in that area, if required.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Hi John, can’t attach to PM, so here it is,——
A173173E-1651-4F2A-BCE3-58088C4053A3.jpeg
A173173E-1651-4F2A-BCE3-58088C4053A3.jpeg (477.59 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Wow, looks like my corrosion has gone through both sections? Did not know of this internal brace.
Are they all the same?
John
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

since the patch has rusted through,I would be dubious if the rest of it is sound enough to weld a stong enough patch to it.I think you need to cut it out and re do it,it's more than possible that the patch has just been stuck on over the original rotten section trapping the rust underneath it, A bit drastic but if it were mine I would be giving the whole area up to and past the eye bolt a good knock about with a hammer to find where the sound metal starts and finishes ,you may be lucky,but you may get a shock. Good luck
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

midget wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:33 pm Wow, looks like my corrosion has gone through both sections? Did not know of this internal brace.
Are they all the same?
It’s possible your rot is just past the reinforcement area, Although that area too could be iffy, as kennatt has said, you might want to check that particular leg for any weakness, incase you are wasting time with a patch.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I think you may be better off chasing that hole back to sound metal and putting a repair panel in there.

I don't want to sound negative but that's a big hole and from working on my Minor I know how far rust spreads from the visible area.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

I do have an engine change planned for later, so have decided to tackle this with a new leg section at that time.
Until then it is off the road. I do have 2 more to use meanwhile--just a shame about the concurrent Mot record.
Thanks for advice
John