Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Seat belts - Series II 4 door

Post by jagnut66 »

non-laminated windscreen
As the splitscreen glass is flat I have taken my new glass (the reduced size that is meant to make refitting easier) down to my local glaziers and had them cut me two new screens in laminated glass, so once the restoration is completed Sally will have laminated front screens.
All things being equal and the fit being okay, I will then have a couple of spare sets cut.
Not an expensive thing to do either for a little piece of mind, my concern was the toughened glass shattering (by a stone impact for example) and going in my eyes.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

Sounds like a good plan, Mike. I have heard if it happening, albeit in a Minor 1000
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I'm umming and ahhing about the seats. I'm not a big fan of them just for comfort, but I don't want to ruin the whole classic aesthetic with modern seats.
I'm surprised you find them uncomfortable, the early seat with the foam supported by the metal base pan are far better constructed than the later seats, where the base foam is held in place by webbing straps.
It is your car though, so you have the right to do as you please.
However there will be no getting away from the fact that if you fit modern seats you will loose the 'classic aesthetic' you mention, as there is no getting away from the fact that it will look 'modded'.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:49 am
I'm umming and ahhing about the seats. I'm not a big fan of them just for comfort, but I don't want to ruin the whole classic aesthetic with modern seats.
I'm surprised you find them uncomfortable, the early seat with the foam supported by the metal base pan are far better constructed than the later seats, where the base foam is held in place by webbing straps.
It is your car though, so you have the right to do as you please.
However there will no getting away from the fact that if you fit modern seats you will loose the 'classic aesthetic' you mention, as there is no getting away from the fact that it will look 'modded'.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Trying to find that balance is key. I'm 6 ft and the seats fitted at just a bit too far forwards and the back support is just a bit too far forwards too. Otherwise, they're great, but these two key points mean my ankles ache, my backside hurts and my back needs cricking after every drive. I'm only 26! :P

EDIT: Spelling
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

As to the flat laminated glass,I had some cut and fitted to my old Splitty I was informed by the fitters that flat glass is not of the same grade as that approved for windscreen use in road going vehicles,and that it was for use in side windows and off roaders, as in tractors. He said that he would cut the glass and show on the receipt it was for a side window (So that he couldn't be held responsible by insurance claims ,h and s again) Refused to fit them himself. Stated that the glass could fail with the wind pressure. Had them in the car for four years before selling it, didn't fail on me. To be honest they were quite a bit thinner than the toughened original, so he may have had a point.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I'm 6 ft and the seats fitted at just a bit too far forwards
Have you tried unbolting and moving the seat back?
I believe the mounting holes in the floor will let you do this, or have you already tried?
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As to the flat laminated glass,I had some cut and fitted to my old Splitty I was informed by the fitters that flat glass is not of the same grade as that approved for windscreen use in road going vehicles,and that it was for use in side windows and off roaders, as in tractors. He said that he would cut the glass and show on the receipt it was for a side window (So that he couldn't be held responsible by insurance claims ,h and s again) Refused to fit them himself. Stated that the glass could fail with the wind pressure. Had them in the car for four years before selling it, didn't fail on me. To be honest they were quite a bit thinner than the toughened original, so he may have had a point.
The glazier I used never mentioned this and he knew what they were for, mind you my laminated version is the same thickness as the toughened repro he used as a pattern.
I wouldn't claim them on the insurance anyway, they will just use it as an excuse to put your premium up (whatever they say to the contrary). Plus it's better than glass in the eyes.
Best wishes,
Mike.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:44 am
I believe the mounting holes in the floor will let you do this, or have you already tried?
Best wishes,
Mike.
I'm a fraction over 6ft in my shoes and the driving position in my '55 is a little upright, but not a problem. Sliding between the seat and the steering wheel in the most difficult thing (heavens knows how the previous owner managed, he was a hefty built guy).
People do vary in the ratio of leg length to body length and I'm perhaps on the shorter leg side, usually taking a 31" trouser leg if I can find them.
Might be worth checking the seat is fully back on the adjuster and on the rear mounting holes, if you haven't already done so.
Basil the 1955 series II

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I agree with jagnut and geoberni on this one - I'm also 6' and used to be fine in my early SII car with its original seats - as the others have said, check that the driver's seat is bolted in using the rear set of captive nuts, as that gives an additional inch or two of legroom. I always found the seats in the SII far better than the later 1000 ones, which are very much lower (even when in good condition!). Is the padding on your seat OK, Andy?
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

liammonty wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:43 pm I agree with jagnut and geoberni on this one - I'm also 6' and used to be fine in my early SII car with its original seats - as the others have said, check that the driver's seat is bolted in using the rear set of captive nuts, as that gives an additional inch or two of legroom. I always found the seats in the SII far better than the later 1000 ones, which are very much lower (even when in good condition!). Is the padding on your seat OK, Andy?
geoberni wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:24 am
jagnut66 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:44 am
Best wishes,
Mike.
I'm a fraction over 6ft in my shoes and the driving position in my '55 is a little upright, but not a problem. Sliding between the seat and the steering wheel in the most difficult thing (heavens knows how the previous owner managed, he was a hefty built guy).
People do vary in the ratio of leg length to body length and I'm perhaps on the shorter leg side, usually taking a 31" trouser leg if I can find them.
Might be worth checking the seat is fully back on the adjuster and on the rear mounting holes, if you haven't already done so.
Will check this tonight, I wasn't aware of these holes. Forgetting how primitive Moggies are.

Padding is fine, super comfy on that end!
Eugene - My daily driver
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Forgetting how primitive Moggies are.
I'll take a 'primitive' Moggy over a modern souless eurobox any day of the week.............. :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:30 pm
Forgetting how primitive Moggies are.
I'll take a 'primitive' Moggy over a modern souless eurobox any day of the week.............. :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
Exactly why my Moggie is my only car. Simple and primitive with lots of soul
Eugene - My daily driver