Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
john newton
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

front w/screen fitting

Post by john newton »

i have just unwrapped w/screen rubber for my 64 2 door. the rubber is like nothing i have ever seen,cant make head nor tail of it. i have fitted screens in th past mostly to fords. can somebody enlighten me as to what section this should look like,plastic infill type. re,john. :oops:
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: front w/screen fitting

Post by geoberni »

John
Have you got a manual?
It's in Sect R (though not illustrated with a post 66 seal).

As I have a SII, I'm not talking from having owned one, but from what I understand...

The basic section of the seal is as per the manual, certainly as far as fitting it to the car goes.
Just the shape of the 'insert' slot is different.
You say the car is a '64, but you're fitting the post '66 seal. Have I understood that right.?
Berni
Basil the 1955 series II

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I did have to scratch my head a bit when I fitted mine, although I haven't fitted one before. Basically there are two narrow slots and one wider. The wider slot is for the plastic trim and goes on the outside. The narrower slots are for the glass and the frame - I fitted mine to the glass first, with cord in the frame slot to pull the lip through.
john newton
Minor Friendly

Post by john newton »

thanks geobernie and mark wilson,yes,64 car and 66 rubber. i shall consult manual,i looked through utube and found plenty mini,s having screen,s fitted hard way also split screen minor,s. more upon completion. re, john
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I have found this video, on AOL of all places, which is fitting rear and then front screens.

Sound quality is poor because they have a gas space heater running at the back of the garage :roll: .
Note that they don't fit the trim to the front screen before fitting it.
The manual however shows the trim fitted before fitting the whole assembly to the car.
So be interesting to know how they got on with fitting it afterwards, but unfortunately they don't mention it...

https://www.aol.com/video/view/fitting- ... 9e3727b26/
Basil the 1955 series II

Chappers
Minor Friendly

Post by Chappers »

This is really interesting.
Is it really that easy?
No sealant squirted round....?
My rubbers have perished, but I really don’t fancy trying this myself.
Please advise if it’s as simple as these guys have shown or is this one of those deceptive, magic tricks video???
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

The old style stainless trim is inserted prior to installation. It's the later style where the trim is inserted after installation. The newer seal is much more forgiving and makes installation easier.
john newton
Minor Friendly

Post by john newton »

i have just had a struggle fitting rubber to screen,finishing off with a faw adjectives. the answer is just a slight smidge of washing up liquid along both edges. easy. i intend to use tyre fitting soap for the body fit. re, john.