History of car

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
consul58
MMOC Member: Yes

History of car

Post by consul58 »

Hi there does anyone know how i can find out more about the history of my Morris? Would be great to find out if anyone knows much about the car before i owned it.
Thanks
Mark
simmitc

Re: History of car

Post by simmitc »

Order a heritage certificate from the Motor Museum at Gaydon. This will give build dates and dealer plus other info. The reg no (unless it's been changed) will tell you where it was registered, and the County Records Office for that area might have a copy of the registration record. We used to say get a list of previous keepers from DVLA, but they have stopped supplying those due to GDPR, but that's another argument. Ask the MMOC office if they have any details, and will they contact previous owners on your behalf - again, they can't give you the list because of GDPR :-? Have you asked the person you bought it from where they got it and what they know about it?

If you don't mind revealing your registration number on here, then someone might recognise it.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

DVLA will provide a copy of the changes of Log Books over the years, as far as they have them, but with the owner's details removed. Details can be a bit poor as older records are just copies of microfilm/microfiche records.
See my experience here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68615
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Unfortunately that wasn't my experience when I applied for the previous keeper timeline on one of my cars - using the correct form - DVLA declined to provide any information at all.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:06 pm Unfortunately that wasn't my experience when I applied for the previous keeper timeline on one of my cars - using the correct form - DVLA declined to provide any information at all.
They did to me the very first time I applied.
I wrote them back a polite 'Snot-O-Gram' covering letter pointing out what I had clearly asked for and requesting them to read what I had actually written on the form.
Perhaps that's why they then lost the letter twice
:roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

consul58

Post by consul58 »

Thanks all for your help :-)

Number plate is AUR 815F just incase anyone knows about him. Looking at old MOTs he spent last 10 years before me around London but wondered where he was before.
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

AUR was issued in Hertfordshire, end of 1967/early 1968. Try Hertfordshire CC archive records for log book details. They have most registrations up to 1977 and you can ask for details online. Like you 'name'. I have owned Ford Consuls, a late '58 NRJ 444, and 83 NNU, a 1960 car. 3 speed column change gearboxes!
consul58

Post by consul58 »

Thats so useful thank you. My first car was a 1958 Four Consul lowline. I also owned a Volvo P1800 my biggest regret was selling it about 10 years ago as prices have rocketed :-)
Attachments
counsul3.jpeg
counsul3.jpeg (33.73 KiB) Viewed 806 times
consul2.jpeg
consul2.jpeg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 806 times
counsul1.jpeg
counsul1.jpeg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 806 times
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Fine looking Consul. Be worth a packet now!
consul58

Post by consul58 »

Sold him in 2003 for £500 :-( Love the Arthur The Morris Minor more :-)