Waterless Coolant: suitable for classic engines or not?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Waterless Coolant: suitable for classic engines or not?

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
'Philthehill' posted up a link to Waterless Coolant:

Here is one version:-

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/co ... ss-coolant
Which I then said was something I would seriously consider, as my engine and heater are empty and have been for some time now (plus my rad has been re-cored), whilst my car is being rebuilt.......
'Matt' then posted that waterless coolant may not be suitable for classic cars and, specifically in our case, the 'A' series engines:

I can't remember exactly who/where but I have read that the waterless coolant isn't really suitable for the A series engines, and that some builders (peter burgess maybe?) won't provide warrantee on engines that have been run with it
So what is the truth of the matter, can we run our cars on waterless coolant, if we so wish?
Or is it really unsuitable and best avoided?......................
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Waterless Coolant: suitable for classic engines or not?

Post by alanworland »

Question for the supplier?

Alan
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Evans claim to be the makers of this - their website faqs include a lot of classic car examples so looks like they have no issues providing a warranty for its use in older cars https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/forum/
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

It was Peter Burgess - who I am sure most of you know is a well respected A series engine builder

https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/peterburgess/indexstart.html

From that page
Waterless Coolant . In our opinion using coolants other than water with antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor addition as recommended in the original workshop manual can allow the engine to run too hot and cause problems such as sticking valves and piston damage. We offer no warranty on our engines and heads if waterless coolants are used. Water is the best liquid for transferring heat.
A friend of mine has a 1966 Transit who is running on it - it does run hotter. We were all in Belgium, on the way back to the ferry on a sunday, and a radiator hose blew - waterless coolant everywhere - and obviously we couldn't get any to replace it. He had to be back at work in the UK the next day... If it was normal water/coolant then it wouldn't have been a problem.
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

I am also thinking of going waterless - it does seem that there are more benefits than downsides - no more aluminium or iron corrosion and running the cooling system unpressurised, thus reducing the chances of bursting pipes and other pressure leaks. Not having to replace the coolant every two years or so is also a bonus. And if I did develop a coolant leak when I'm out and about, I'd carry a bottle of waterless in the boot just as I carry a bottle of water now.

I'm a big fan of Jay Leno - for those who don't know him, he's a top US chatshow host, with a passion for cars and a car collection that would turn all car fans green with envy.

I think the video clip below of Jay discussing waterless cooling is worth a few minutes of your time. But beware, once you start to delve into the video clips from Jay's car collection, you will find your day has passed by rather quickly.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PykrgzWPQ
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I also have a Lotus Elan and many people use it in these without any problems, the main reason for most is to prevent head corrosion, at 3 grand for a new head it's an undetstandable investment. I personaly can't see it's worth the cost for very little benefit in a minor, even on the Elan I just change the coolant every couple of years, only takes a few minutes and costs around a tenner.

If you have a leak it can be topped up with water but you will have to drain and flush it with their flushing fluid and re-fill with fresh waterless again to get the protection back.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Meanwhile someone is re-inventing the wheel. :lol:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

For a valuable classic alloy engine (i.e. Bugatti) it might be worth the trouble and expenditure but for a plain old cast iron block Minor I would not fork out money or time for waterless coolant.

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

philthehill wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 am For a valuable classic alloy engine (i.e. Bugatti) it might be worth the trouble and expenditure but for a plain old cast iron block Minor I would not fork out money or time for waterless coolant.
I totally agree!!!