Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

What have I done wrong?

Post by MorrisJohn »

Right. Two shiny new aluminium plates arrived from Tippers this morning for my ‘61 saloon.

I’d been advised to drill the screw holes from the rear of the plate to the front. And to place a piece of timber under the plates.

I also used masking tape on the front of the plates to prevent damage to the black paint.

I checked the size of the plastic screws holding the plates on and went and bought a 6.5mm drill bit for metal, so the holes were big enough for the screws to fit through.

Unfortunately despite my best efforts paint came off at the first two holes. So on the second plate I drilled from front to rear, still using masking tape of course. Same result.

I’m really annoyed with myself having spent £50 on the plates. Only saving grace is the screws cover MOST of the missing black paint.

I must have done something stupidly wrong. Can anyone advise me for future reference? (I’ve written to tippers asking the same thing...I’m assuming the plates weren’t sub standard).

—- After posting this I received an email from Tippers saying I appear to have done everything correctly and they’re a bit concerned because they have recently switched to a new primer as their previous one has been banned. I’ll let you know the outcome.
Attachments
512ECA0B-9CC6-43BE-88FE-824779E4D18A.jpeg
512ECA0B-9CC6-43BE-88FE-824779E4D18A.jpeg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 1451 times
AF02F2D0-205C-4830-8B7E-7B8B5D719566.jpeg
AF02F2D0-205C-4830-8B7E-7B8B5D719566.jpeg (50.43 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: What have I done wrong?

Post by Murrayminor »

I would have thought drilling from the rear will cause the paint to lift.
I usually tape over where I'm about to drill with masking tape and then drill through the tape on the face firstly with a pilot hole, then the full size hole.
Its all a bit late for you now though, still a bit of black paint and maybe a steel bolt would look better than the plastic number plate screw.

Regards

Dermot.
Last edited by Murrayminor on Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

From the photos it does seem likely that it's a problem with the type of paint they've used as at least some of the masking line edges are as rough as the proverbial bear's bottom.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I would say it's their quality control of the painting process. As Myrtles Man says, the masked off lines to the characters are pretty ropey.

They should have done some process sampling on a few plates/offcuts before doing customers jobs.

I'm with Murrayminor about the fixings. Why pay out for period plates and then use modern plastic bolts.... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Something like these would probably cover the paint damage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-A2-STAINL ... 1725391145

Phil
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Any reason why you're not just touching up the area round the holes with a little bit of black gloss paint? 'swot I'd be doing in the circs.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There does not appear to be any self etch primer applied to the plate before painting. Unless self etch primer (or similar) is applied to aluminum - paint will not stick to bare aluminum.
The drilling should be undertaken from the front of the plate after masking tape is applied, a piece of wood under the plate for support, drill through the masking tape with a pilot drill and then the actual size drill required.
When the hole has been drilled a small amount of lacquer should be applied to the rim of the hole to seal the hole/paint.
I would put your problem down to inadequate preparation of the aluminum before the top coat black is applied.
As you have followed the instructions the plates should be returned to the seller for replacement.

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks guys. Your comments tie in with what Tippers have said to me.

They said they’re concerned by my photos as they’ve recently had to change primer, due to their old one being banned. They said I’ve drilled them in the same way they do in the workshop and I shouldn’t have experienced this issue.

They are running paint/drill tests on other plates to get to the bottom of it. They’ve offered to replace the set once they’ve done this.

I’ve suggested to them the finish around some of the letters is “ropey” and invited them to arrange a courier to uplift these plates from me so they can inspect them.

The reason for buying shiny new plates was so I didn’t have to do any painting and so on, and I sought out the correct ones for the period. (Ace digit aside as they were extortionate). Regardless of cost I do expect a new product to be finished right.

I like the idea of changing the plastic screws to period style polished stainless steel bolts. I’ve just ordered myself a set.

Thanks for all the comments :D
Last edited by MorrisJohn on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Another question related to the front number plate. This one is larger than the old one it replaced. Presumably because the digits are period correct 3 1/2”, rather than the 3 1/8”, for a 1961 car.

Which is fine...but the new plate is now bigger than the backing plate. Can I get a larger backing plate?

moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I wonder if the plate smoked when drilled ?
That looks a little like blistering, maybe as well as masking tape coolant or a drop of oil would help?
Stable doors and horses I know.
Where angels fear to tread
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

moggiethouable wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:45 am I wonder if the plate smoked when drilled ?
That looks a little like blistering, maybe as well as masking tape coolant or a drop of oil would help?
Stable doors and horses I know.
Nothing noticeable when drilling. All seemed perfectly normal, except the end result. Looking closely at them I can see a little micro blistering here and there. I’m sure it’s the primer.

That said they’re sorting it all out, so credit to them. These things happen.

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Just an update on the issue with the finish of the plates...when they found out I’d shared my experience of the plates with club members and sought the advice of others I got a rather cheeky email (7th August) saying their reputation was paramount and they were “disappointed” I’d shared my experience because they had been “accommodating enough”.

I had been pretty happy with how they were dealing with the issue up until I received that email.

I replied explaining I’d been fair, accurate and balanced in what I said about the plates and that I was simply seeking the advice of people with more experience in these matters than myself.

I sent an email requesting an update on 18th August and got an automated reply, which said they were on holiday until 24th. I’ve heard nothing at all from them since their cheeky email on 7th August.

There’s time yet I suppose...

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I would have thought that if they were interested in keeping a reputation then they'd have replaced some obviously-faulty plates quickly in the hope of impressing potential customers. They seem to have instead done the exact opposite. A month later and you still haven't got what you paid for?

As you said, all companies make mistakes but I tend to be more interested in how they handle things when they go wrong. The original post wasn't in the least bit unreasonable and merely showed the product that was sent to you, and presumably, lots of other customers.

In the time it took to write an Email to you they could easily have written an envelope out to post you some replacements.
Cardiff, UK
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

My thoughts exactly Rob. Thank you. It’s nice to know I wasn’t being unreasonable. I didn’t think I was, it was never written with the intention of damaging a company’s reputation, but it’s good to know other people think the same.

How different would it look for their reputation if I’d been on here a few days later telling people how they’d very quickly investigated and delivered a beautiful new set of plates?

RobThomas wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:52 am I would have thought that if they were interested in keeping a reputation then they'd have replaced some obviously-faulty plates quickly in the hope of impressing potential customers. They seem to have instead done the exact opposite. A month later and you still haven't got what you paid for?

As you said, all companies make mistakes but I tend to be more interested in how they handle things when they go wrong. The original post wasn't in the least bit unreasonable and merely showed the product that was sent to you, and presumably, lots of other customers.

In the time it took to write an Email to you they could easily have written an envelope out to post you some replacements.