Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
53lake
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller side window finger pulls

Post by 53lake »

I'm replacing the rotted rubber strips that secure the chrome finger pulls to the side windows. Got the old ones off OK with a lot of soaking in WD-40 and tapping with a rubber mallet. Two out of the four windows had evidence of some adhesive used on the strips, two didn't.
Question is, should I install them with any adhesive, if so, what? Or should they just go back without any lubricant, relying only on friction to keep them in place. If I use any lubricant to make it easier to get them on, I'm afraid they will slip off again when in use.
Any thoughts welcome - thanks!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Traveller side window finger pulls

Post by ManyMinors »

If you want to "stick" them on I'd use a light smear of Tiger Seal along the edge of the glass before pushing the rubber and the metal strips on. I don't think they used anything in the factory though - just a tight fitting seal.
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Stixall is cheaper than Tiger Seal and comes in Black, White, Clear and maybe Grey too. It works just as well as Tiger Seal and will stick just about anything to anything. Easy to use and clean up after too.
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Steve Phillips »

The products in question here are PU adhesive's "polyurothane" there are dozens of brands available although many are made by the same company but branded differently,

over the years I've found that most are as good as each other regardless of brand if they are not being used in high stress or high temperature situations

So yes price on this occasion can be a deciding factor,

Unfortunately with PU once it's been opened no matter how much youve used it will nearly always go off in the tube within a few weeks,

one last point, PU does have a shelf life, so be careful if your offered a dusty tube from a supplier that has had it on the shelf for a long time.

Steve