Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
plg422d
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Mobile Phone Holder

Post by plg422d »

I was wondering what people use for holding there mobile phone 9iphone) in their Morris. I guess a windscreen suction device is the easiest but wondered if anyone else has any good solutions? TIA
ps Photo would be helpful.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Mobile Phone Holder

Post by ianmack »

A mobile telephone? We in the Morris Minor fraternity do not concern ourselves with such modern fripperies. :D
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

My pocket so that I can't make or receive any calls when I'm driving.....best place for it. And no, I'm not an old fuddy duddy
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Google ‘mobile phone holder for cars’ click images at the top, you’ll be spoilt for choice.

moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I bet your local friendly traffic officer would have an answer.
Where angels fear to tread
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

I can see many concerns being voiced about the use of mobile phones in your car, but remember that our phones are satnavs. I know many people who use them for navigation in the exact same way you'd use a TomTom.

I agree with Les. There are many available for dirt cheap that simply stick to the windscreen. Amazon and eBay will be your best bet
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I had a very nice little purple Polo a few years back, great little runabout, economical and with good bodywork and paint, very reliable little car.........................
Until some tw*t of a salesman, driving too fast whilst fully engaged -- with the person he was talking to on his mobile :evil: :evil: :evil: --went straight into the back of me!
It is the only time, up to that point, that I have been physically thrown forward in my seat by a rear end impact.
He was really apologetic and accepted full responsibility (company car and insurance mind.....).......
I bet he still talks on his mobile whilst driving though! :evil:
I was late for a job interview thanks to that idiot.
If I see some moron hurtling towards the back of my car again, blissfully unaware, whilst engaged on their mobile, I shall make sure I do what I should have done that time and call the Police and prosecute, providing I'm still conscious after of course...............
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Widgeon3

Post by Widgeon3 »

I bought a universal mount then removed the suction base and epoxied on a couple of rare earth magnets. It sticks to the dash when I need it and disappears from view when not.

I use Android Auto on my phone which connects by Bluetooth to a tiny 12v amplifier and a pair of speakers hidden behind the glove compartment liners. For me, it’s the perfect combination of original look and modern convenience.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

If I'm in my Morris, I just stick it in the glove box. It's usually a later model so it doesn't have a closed lid on the drivers side, still easy to get to or hear if you need to use the satnav. On the older Morris's, I still stick it in the glove box, but close the door shut and forget about it. Out of sight and temptation.

Oddly enough, when driving any of the Morris's, I tend to forget all about the phone anyway.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

It’s worth bearing in mind that whether it’s a mobile phone or a satnav, if it’s mounted in the windscreen, it’s obstructing part of your view of the road. That’s an offence, but to be fair, it’s also a bad idea, particularly in a Minor which has such a small windscreen in the first place. There’s a huge emphasis on safety in the event of an accident in cars these days, but as the late great Spen King (designer of the Range Rover and Rover P6 among others) said, having excellent visibility from a car is actually a very good way of avoiding the accidents in the first place. Plonking the mobile in your windscreen won’t aid that! Maybe a mount attached to the dash alongside the speedo would work? There’s a large flat area that you could attach a suction cup type thingy too that might work? That way, the phone/satnav is in your field of vision, but isn’t obstructing your view of the road.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Any lower than the windscreen will avert your vision even further away from where it should be !

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

les wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:14 am Any lower than the windscreen will avert your vision even further away from where it should be !
So it’s a good idea to block your view? Try explaining that to the police if you’re involved in an accident :lol:
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

les wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:14 am Any lower than the windscreen will avert your vision even further away from where it should be !
Er, isn't that what the speedo does too?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well doesn’t it avert your view even further away or not? You don’t study a speedo as you do a phone/sat nav.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Fair point Les. I haven't got a dog in this fight anyway as I don't own a smartphone and rarely use my venerable satnav. :lol:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

It's a shame the Sat Nav was ever invented!
Then we would all still be able to read a map and remember directions in our heads.
My former landlord loves technology and happily swapped from maps to a Sat Nav, he later told me he'd forgotten how to read a map!! :o :o
Personally I will be sticking to maps and for local directions I simply download and print from Google maps before I set off on a journey to somewhere I don't know.
I do have a mobile but I refuse to even get it out when I'm driving.
Right, I'm getting off my soapbox now............ :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Ordnance Survey maps are one of my favourites, very detailed, mind you, you need a few on a long journey! :D

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

Always take a map of where I'm bound! :D
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I have a fine collection of BMC county maps and even a BMC road atlas. Lovely maps to handle and read. Just a shame the roads have changed so much since they were printed. Not terribly useful, but nice to have.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

If you don’t have a glovebox lid on your drivers side glovebox I find just sitting it on its side on top of a cloth (used for demisting!) is fine for using it as a sat nav on the odd time it’s required. You only need the occasional glance since the audio is usually sufficient when combined with reading road signs. It doesn’t seem to move or fall over and keeps its presence nice and discreet...nobody else knows it’s there.

plg422d wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:38 am I was wondering what people use for holding there mobile phone 9iphone) in their Morris. I guess a windscreen suction device is the easiest but wondered if anyone else has any good solutions? TIA
ps Photo would be helpful.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com