Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
53lake
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller rear trim packing pieces

Post by 53lake »

All new wood from ESM, installed on my 1968 Traveller and it looks just beautiful. Included were some packing pieces. Now trying to figure out where they go. I don't recall exactly how these parts fitted when I dismantled them five years ago, pre-retirement (!).

There are three pieces for each side, one long lath 7/8" X 5/16" the length of the waist rail, one curved piece which clearly snugs into the curved rear post rebate, and one straight piece which I assume tacks onto the rear of the B post. It seems they are all meant to provide a mounting surface for the interior trim panels.

I've attached a sketch of how I think the long lath is supposed to fit. It would follow that the curved piece must be planed a bit to fit into the rebate, while leaving a groove for the trim panel to fit into so it sits flush against the inside surface of the rear post rebate.

Could someone confirm or correct me on this before I start down the wrong track?
Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_3669.jpg
IMG_3669.jpg (558.27 KiB) Viewed 495 times
IMG_3670.jpg
IMG_3670.jpg (466.99 KiB) Viewed 495 times
IMG_3666.jpg
IMG_3666.jpg (454.54 KiB) Viewed 495 times
taupe
Minor Legend

Re: Traveller rear trim packing pieces

Post by taupe »

Hi

You are correct generally but your detail is all wrong

You should refer to the traveller timber plans which show exactly the sealing details and you will see there is none on the waist rail...

The drawings also show the exact hole centres to be drilled in the fillets and capping pieces and as you have clearly gone for a very high standard Im sure you will want it all correct!
traveller detail.JPG
traveller detail.JPG (73.1 KiB) Viewed 475 times
Taupe
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by pgp001 »

I am pretty sure I read somwhere that a water tight seal is needed between the waist rail and its inner capping.
Without it water will just find its way between the two and get inside the car when the window channels become full of water.

I know they are supposed to drain through the waist rail to the outside, but in practice some will find its way across.

I think there are some areas at each end of the window channels that allow water in if they are not sealed as well.

Phil P
53lake
Minor Friendly

Post by 53lake »

Thanks Taupe, much appreciate your response.
Where can I get these traveller timber plans? I didn't receive anything like your diagram with the parts I ordered, I just assembled both sides and the rear doors using the old parts as a guide.
My main reference has been the Haynes Restoration Manual. This is where I got the idea about the seal between the waist rail and the capping.
Attachments
IMG_3673 (1).jpg
IMG_3673 (1).jpg (725.78 KiB) Viewed 461 times