Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Time traveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rubber bung in bell housing

Post by Time traveller »

Nightmare, my traveller was without the rubber bungs in the clutch bell housing. So fitted two and came to the third which is right on top. To my horror the bung disappeared inside out of sight. I am a novice to working on cars and learning as I go along. Obviously I need to get the bung back out, BUT HOW? Can anyone help as to the best way to do this, All advice will be gratefully received, thank you, Paul.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rubber bung in bell housing

Post by philthehill »

You should be able to remove the N/S lower bell housing rubber bung and pull out the rubber bung that has fallen through.
You may have to turn the engine by hand to get the bung to fall to the bottom inside of the bell housing.
It is not imperative that the top bung is fitted.
Good luck.

Time traveller
Minor Friendly

Post by Time traveller »

Thanks for that, will give it a go, so fingers crossed.
Time traveller
Minor Friendly

Post by Time traveller »

Success, after a lot of worry, I turned the engine over using the starting handle, and the bung did drop down. However I couldn’t feel or find it. A friend of mine saved the day as he turned up with a camera attached to a long thin viewer. Popped it in the hole an there it was, just a bent piece of wire later and out it came, relief. I decided that the hole at the top of the bell housing should have the bung as that is why they make them, so learning my lesson not to try and fit it from underneath, I removed the air filter and fitted it in from the top. Taking care and found it to be straight forward, so happy days. Just got to change the oil and I’m back on the road.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Well done :D