Engine

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nick NK
MMOC Member: No

Engine

Post by Nick NK »

Hi I have a Morris Traveller with a 1098 engine. We often tow a small 1960 caravan but would like a bit me power. Can anyone suggest if there any way I can increase the power without changing the engine? any advice would be appreciated. Nick
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Nick,
Take the head off, have it skimmed. While your at it have the exhaust and inlet holes lightly ported (enlarged) so it can breath easier.
Then source a larger single carb, HS4 for example plus a suitable exhaust manifold to fit it to.
That's my starter for ten, anyway.
Others will come along with other ideas. It depends how much money you have to put into it, as to how far you go.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whatever you do as regards modifications to the engine aim to increase the torque from the engine.
Engine tuning does not necessarily increase the torque which is what you need when towing a caravan. In some cases it can be the opposite.

Have a good read through the attached:-

https://www.calverst.com/technical-info/

It may read Mini but it also covers the 'A' Series engine fitted to the Minor.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Will you be upgrading the brakes too?
Nick NK

Post by Nick NK »

Thank you everyone. I have already upgraded the brakes
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As an aside, whilst you have the head off is a good opportunity to fit hardened valve seats.
Some people just do the exhaust ones, I like to do both inlet and exhaust, to keep things even.

If you do decide to fit a bigger carb, one way to do it and save a bit of money is to grind off the inlet section of your existing manifold and use a 'classic' mini one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini ... xyJ8ZRgsGz
You can leave the pipes open or run your heater pipe through them, it's up to you.
Others may have more specific advice and / or experience, favouring one option or the other.
Again you can use the vacuum take off or just blank it off for now, whatever suits you.
Someone on here will know where best to get the screw in pipe connection or blanking plug to facilitate either option.
Using your original exhaust manifold also has the advantage of having the correct angle for the front pipe to fit onto, should you want to stick with a standard Morris Minor exhaust.
A Morris Marina carb is a good upgrade and has the advantage of having the float bowl and linkages on the correct (same) sides as the original Minor set up, thus making the swap a doddle. You just need to find one......
Here's one option though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Marin ... SwlixfIJl9
The standard Mini carb has these on the opposite sides, which, whilst not impossible to resolve, makes the job a bit more involved.....
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you want a bigger carb and better manifold use the 1275cc Marina HS4 carb and Marina combined inlet/exhaust manifold. The manifold according to Vizard is quite efficient.
There is no need to spend fancy money on manifolds.

Nick NK

Post by Nick NK »

Thank you everyone again. Its really helpful. I will show the suggestions to my mechanic.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

There is no need to spend fancy money on manifolds
I half agree with you Phil but, if he wants to go this route, it's a question of availability and how quickly he wants to progress things.
My post is also only a suggestion of one possible option.
Best wishes,
Mike.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here is a Marina combined inlet and exhaust manifold.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-1275- ... SwAbBe72Zo

The HS4 carb, spacers & linkage can usually be found on 'e' bay.

You will also need the Marina / Morris front pipe to suit the larger Marina exhaust tract.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... ss-p830058

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

philthehill wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:23 am Whatever you do as regards modifications to the engine aim to increase the torque from the engine.
Engine tuning does not necessarily increase the torque which is what you need when towing a caravan. In some cases it can be the opposite.

Have a good read through the attached:-

https://www.calverst.com/technical-info/

It may read Mini but it also covers the 'A' Series engine fitted to the Minor.
Thank you Phil. This is a really good read. I shall have a better look. Is this the same KC from the vizard book?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

KC might have a mention in the DV book but they are both separate BMC engine tuners. I would suggest that DV is the better known.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Looking again, here's another link to Marina's being broken for spares, so you may get the whole set up: manifold, carb and air filter housing.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C590787
Though you can adapt the late minor air filter housing to fit (I have in the past) which may make sourcing filters easier.
Best wishes,
Mike.
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

It might be worth having a read through this post from earlier in the year as it covers a possible upgrade.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71446&hilit=12g940

It's a subject which has been covered a fair bit in the past- just search 12G940. You'll find various views on if this is good and if recessing valves or pocketing the block. I've not done it yet but have all the parts awaiting a suitable opportunity.