Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Time traveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Engine restorer

Post by Time traveller »

Hi, have just done oil change on my traveller and was wondering if the Ametech engine restorer additive would help in anyway. It says it increases compression etc. Just thought it might help or offer more protection for the engine. Thanks everyone.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine restorer

Post by simmitc »

I've not used it, so can't comment from experience; but the reviews seem a little mixed, some people appear very happy with it, others not so happy. The first question is really what's wrong with your engine that you're trying to fix? You mention increasing compression, but are you suffering from poor compression, and if so, have you investigated to see what is causing it? It also claims to reduce oil consumption, but is yours excessive? Another claim is to "Restore MPG", but is yours poor and if yes, have you checked for possible causes? How many miles has the engine (not the car) covered?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

None of these 'dopes' work - been there, done that. If the engine is worn do you honestly think pouring something into it will repair it? The best you can do to prolong engine life is change the oil every 3,000 miles or once a year, whichever comes soonest, using a quality 'classic' engine oil with ZDDP and change the filter either at the same time or 6,000 miles. And maintain the cooling system. Regular oil changes maintain the quality of the oil and prolong engine life.
Starting up from cold and switching off just to move the car out of the garage, short runs from cold and faulty cooling systems all have a deleterious effect on the engine.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Time traveller wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:27 pm Hi, have just done oil change on my traveller and was wondering if the Ametech engine restorer additive would help in anyway. It says it increases compression etc. Just thought it might help or offer more protection for the engine. Thanks everyone.
I don't agree with engine saving additives, if you service it on a regular basis, checking the valve clearances, changing the oils and filters, checking the dashpot and carburettor etc then there is no reason the engine will happily run along nicely.

If you are trying to revive an old engine then save your money and put it towards a rebuild.
Last edited by Murrayminor on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

The only additive I would add to any fuel is the Redex product, as I have found it will unstick piston rings or sticking valves and restore compression, if that is a problem with a lightly used or long standing vehicle. Years ago I had a Mk2 Jag with a low compression misfire on one cylinder. I put a couple of squirts of redex down all the bores, left it overnight, and the following morning after turning the car over a few times before replacing the plugs, started it up, and it was running as smooth as silk, with decent compression on the rogue cylinder. All six were level at the correct compression figures.