Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Young enthusiast Bangers and Cash

Post by Murrayminor »

I have just watched the first episode of the new series of Bangers and Cash and a clip showed a young boy with a pile of book's on the Morris Minor.
The young lad stated he owned the minor but only his dad was allowed to drive it but he himself liked to work on it.
It's always nice to see youngsters take a keen interest in older vehicles.
I wonder if dad and son are on here? if so the young man is a credit to you.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Des911
Minor Friendly

Re: Young enthusiast Bangers and Cash

Post by Des911 »

You're right but it does worry me if todays or even yesterdays children will have the interest in classic cars we have. :D
1958 4 door Black
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Maybe his computer has broken. :D

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Des911 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:48 pm You're right but it does worry me if todays or even yesterdays children will have the interest in classic cars we have. :D
I find young car enthusiasts are more drawn to new cars rather then old.
When I was growing up car were old and I certainly couldn't afford a new car so made do with repairing the old one and gained experience and enjoyment.
These days cars are just a monthly payment option with a new car available every three years, why would a young person choose an old classic when their mobile phone won't connect to it?
Des911
Minor Friendly

Post by Des911 »

What will happen to our cars when we're not here, there's already a shortage of garages available to look after them ???
1958 4 door Black
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Most young people, even if they are interested in old cars, can't stump up the often outrageous prices the already rich farts are asking for them.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I wonder, if these, as you call, ‘rich farts‘ we’re to sell vehicles at bargain prices, the rest of us would step aside and leave the bargains to these youngsters? I think not. Why? Because life doesn’t work like that, a shame but the human animal is not programmed that way. There would be another ‘rich fart’ buying it and selling for a profit, before a youngster could get out the door.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The way things are going it will be all static displays and nothing else. :cry:

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

It's quite sad that younger enthusiasts will struggle to be able to afford a "cheap" project car.
As mentioned above the more affluent enthusiast will snap up that project just for a few parts and leave the rest rotting in the garden/barn etc.
Static shows don't help the situation as the young people see immaculate vehicles and getting to that point is difficult.

I would love to see more events where the cars are used such as goodwood, but at a more affordable level to allow us mere mortals an entry into that type of event.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Having just typed that reply a thought entered my head, have the Morris Minor owners club ever organised such an event, for example a sporting event such as a long distance touring assembly or national driving event.
I know the sporting triumph club have the regular round Britain tour it would be nice to have the Minor doing something as well.

A few years back I travelled to Ireland in my 1275GT to take part in the Mizen head to Malin head rally taking in the length of Ireland, it was a great event with some lovely cars not all fire breathing monsters enjoying a couple of day driving.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

As a former "young" owner now rapidly aging through my thirties I have to say there are a quite a few things that get in the way of classic ownership:

- No space, garages & workshops. What to do when renting a one bed flat, for example?
- Starting from having absolutely no tools is expensive, I was lucky in that I was given quite a few.
- No general culture of fixing up vehicles yourself now that modern cars aren't conducive to such tinkering - the learning curve is far steeper as none of this is picked up via watching others or 'osmosis'.
- What car culture does exist is all about lowering springs and adding turbos :).

It's possible of course, but it perhaps takes a couple of crazy pills and some concerted effort.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As a former 'young' owner now rapidly aging through my 70's I have to say there are quite a few things that get in the way of classic ownership. :D

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Ah the back and knees go at 31!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

I feel many responses on here are quite blinkered, there is a large cohort of youngsters that are interested in classic cars, just classic means from the 80s and 90s, which is of course of their generation.

Certainly not all about turbos and dump valves, though there is nothing implicitly wrong with that is there?
Des911
Minor Friendly

Post by Des911 »

Bowie69 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:59 am I feel many responses on here are quite blinkered, there is a large cohort of youngsters that are interested in classic cars, just classic means from the 80s and 90s, which is of course of their generation.
Nothing wrong with them at all, in fact it's good to know that someone will look after the later cars but Murrayminor asked the question of who will look after our 50s and 60s cars a problem later cars will face in years to come.
1958 4 door Black
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

That's the issue, pre 1970 cars are either priced in such a way the young cannot muster enough cash to buy or project car are now approaching four figures.

I have spoken to young lads in their 20's who are car fanatics, but they look upon Minor and the like as old hat and would rather work on and enjoy a hot hatch.
It is of course up to the individual, but that gleaming Morris Minor may never be looked at again with the same glint in ones eye.

My opening post showed the minority, a young child interested in Morris Minor's, that enthusiasm needs to be nurtured if the vehicles we love are to be kept rolling for the next 70 odd years.

Many car clubs are full of people who have a gleaming example, lots of knowledge, friendly and willing to give advice, these are the people who need to interact with the potential young enthusiast to keep them interested.

When I was younger I owned a 1966 VW Beetle 6 volt, it was rotten, slow, the water leaked in, the oil leaked out but I have terrific memories of that car and the friends I made whilst attempting to keep it on the road, I still have those friends 32 years down the road.

That's what we need in the classic car world, weather its a 1989 MX-5 or a 1959 Morris Minor all people coming together for the good of the general classic car movement.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

" kept rolling for the next 70 odd years".................................Optimism - now that is what I like. 8)

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I know the sporting triumph club have the regular round Britain tour it would be nice to have the Minor doing something as well.
Seconded, back in the day Minors were noted for their reliability, so why not!
Once Sally is back on the road I will happily enter her, if the club organises one.
Perhaps in aid of charity, the added publicity of a good cause might have the side effect of raising the public profile of the Minor and attracting a few more 'young' members! If so, win, win!
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

There are loads of road runs, many organised by regional branches and others by local motor clubs.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Whilst I'm not against local runs organised by regional area's I think a longer distance tour within the confines of this island would be great to see, maybe a Lands end to John O Groats or even a coast to coast.
Plus as mentioned it may improve the image of the Morris Minor.