Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
53lake
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller rear door check plate

Post by 53lake »

Wondering if someone has advice for this small issue I've got.

I'm not sure if this is the right name for the part, but I'm referring to the plate that is screwed to the waist rail capping. The stay bar passes through it.

On my car, I've noticed one of the rear doors wasn't staying put when fully open, and would slam shut easily. Looking at the sprung pin on the plate, I realized on that one side the head had worn down compare to the other side, leaving a bigger gap in the plate, so the stay bar wouldn't click into place. Pic shows the difference between the two pins, having dismantled the worn one.

Simple solution would be to replace the pin, but I can't find this part available from any of the usual suspects. So what to do?
Maybe someone knows where to find a replacement pin. If not, any ideas on how to remediate the old pin?

Thanks as usual.
IMG_3926.jpg
IMG_3926.jpg (453.07 KiB) Viewed 909 times
bufferzone
Minor Friendly

Re: Traveller rear door check plate

Post by bufferzone »

You May be able to rig up something with an acorn cap nut and bolt. A left hand unit is for sale on eBay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Morris-Minor-T ... 890.l49292
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by pgp001 »

I swapped mine over from left to right and replaced the dome head with a spring loaded cap head screw.
I have a little knurled brass know on the top of each one which you have to lift the screw up with before the door will close.

The original idea just seemed rubbish to me as the doors would never stay open, this way you have to release the catch manually to enable them to close.

Phil P
53lake
Minor Friendly

Post by 53lake »

Thank for the ideas. I checked the eBay item but I couldn't be sure it would be any less worn than mine, and shipping takes an astonishing 2 months, acc. to seller (!!).

Phil P, I'm not clear what you did, if you have a moment could you post a pic?

I just thought about getting a welder to put a blob of weld or braze on top of the worn pin, then grinding it smooth to build it back to the right height.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I was hoping you understood my method in the description, because it will be difficult to get any photo's now until after winter when the car comes out of hibernation.

But what I did was use the left hand tie bar on the right hand door and vice versa, if you do that when the door is fully open the latch will hold it in place, but you will need to manually be able to lift the pin before it will release. There is no way the door will close on its own.

The original pins were replaced with 2BA cap head screws which were a bit longer, and the dome nuts replaced with some knobs so the pin can be pulled against the spring to release it.

Phil P
53lake
Minor Friendly

Post by 53lake »

Got it, thanks Phil!
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I'd be happy to put a blob of weld on it for you, only problem is the post office seem to have a about a 25% rate of loosing parcels around here at the moment!

Send it tracked and they seem to manage.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

There are some good ideas here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34841&p=625338&hili ... ay#p625338
I like the one from 'millerman'
I wish you success
Don