Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Broquet Fuel Catalyst

Post by Donald Ross »

Hello

My car has been fitted with a Broquet inline fuel catalyst since i purchased it a few years ago.

I find fuel catalysts hard to believe sometimes when it comes to them saying they act as a lead substitute which is why i am going to start using fuel additive as well to be on the safe side.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has any experience of fuel catalysts and how effective they actually are.

Regards
Donald
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Broquet Fuel Catalyst

Post by ManyMinors »

I too find it hard to believe they can make much difference. I have heard people who have them say that their car runs very well - but mine runs very well without one, so who knows :wink:
Personally, I have never done anything at all to alter my Minor 1000 to run on unleaded fuel and I have never purchased any additives either. I have experienced no obvious ill effects so will continue to leave it well alone and run it on the cheapest unleaded fuel I can find :) .
People have been telling me for many years that I will ruin my engine but I can report that all is still well and the engine seems no more worn than it was when I first started using plain unleaded well over 10 years ago.
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

Same experience with my traveller too. I have noticed that when I tank with super plus (98 octane) I get more km out of a tankful. Our minors are very well cooled in normal circumstances so perhaps the higher temps around the exhaust valves which are supposed to come from unleaded, may not be so significant.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

I had a Broquet fuel catalyst fitted to my 1955 ford 103e.
I chose the one that fitted into the fuel tank,( pellets) and left it in the tank for 25 years. In my opinion it made no difference to fuel economy or how the engine performed.
At the moment I have the in line Broquet that came with my traveller when I purchased the car last year.
I'm prepared to see if there is any difference, and if not I'll take it off just like I did with my little ford and chuck it in the bin.
The car uses ordinary 95RON unleaded fuel, with no additional additives.
Pays your money I suppose.😉and takes your chance.
Regards Jonnie.
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I suspect that they are snake oil, but there’s one on my baby Austin and seems to do no harm.
I’ve read all the history about them... enhancing fighter fuel in WW2 etc... but I can’t get the science. Just doesn’t seem to make sense.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

You'll get more benefit from making the car lighter by throwing it away. :)

In my experience Minor engines are fine on normal unleaded although I'd use additive or convert the cylinder head if doing hundreds of fast motorway miles. No ill effects from ethanol yet either although all my pipes are fairly new and thus fairly modern materials.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.