Regular engine runs during winter storage?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pete Bags
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Regular engine runs during winter storage?

Post by Pete Bags »

I was wondering what the general consensus is about engine running to maintain it's 'health' during the winter 'storage' period.

I'm aware that my Moggy has not been run since the end of October when it went into my garage - should I be starting the engine every few weeks until it's up to temperature (on the driveway, not driving around)?

This winter, the Covid restrictions have stopped me taking the car out on fine weather (and salt free road) days, but I am concerned that this long period of engine idleness may be storing up internal engine corrosion issues etc for the future - or are my worries unfounded?

Many thanks

Pete
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Regular engine runs during winter storage?

Post by ManyMinors »

I would say that your worries are unfounded and that running an engine for a short period could even do some harm. I would think that a good compromise might be to regularly turn the engine over on the starting handle if you wished? You could even squirt a little oil into the bores first if you wished. Keeping the battery charged is also a good plan and I know some owners are keen to rotate (or even raise) the wheels to save flatting. For myself though, I have other cars which are seldom used and have generally put them somewhere in the dry and left them alone :wink:
I would rather take the car for a good run and get everything working - on a fine winter day when the roads are dry and no salt about - and that would also prevent the odd sticking brake cylinder etc.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

The engine doesn't worry me - I'm just sure to crank it with the plugs disconnected before firing it up for the first time in a while to circulate it all.

What I have had issues with is the clutch and handbrake sticking on!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I'd agree with ManyMinors here. I'm always FAR less concerned about leaving any of my old cars laid up than the moderns. Last winter, one of the Minors started first time having been left outside untouched for 4 months, and then did a 185 mile non-stop journey up the motorway when my modern car had broken down! As per Monty-4's comments, it may be worth considering leaving the handbrake off if the car is parked up for some time, especially if it's damp. There's not a lot that can be done to prevent sticking clutches, to be fair, though I've only ever had that issue on a couple cars and always suspected it was due to contamination on the clutch plates.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

liammonty wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:31 pm There's not a lot that can be done to prevent sticking clutches

Wedging the clutch pedal down with a length of two by four up against the driver's seat?
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Myrtles Man wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:59 pm
liammonty wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:31 pm There's not a lot that can be done to prevent sticking clutches

Wedging the clutch pedal down with a length of two by four up against the driver's seat?
You could, but I'd be concerned about the effect long-term on the pressure plate spring strength. But maybe I'm overthinking it!
ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

Hello all,
For what its worth, I like to give mine a good run rather than a tickover on the drive. i feel it gets everything moving.
I do push the clutch pedal down though if its going to be standing for any great length of time. I use a piece of wood pushing on the pedal from the clamp on the steering column. It isn't pushed right down though. Just enough for the clutch plate to be free.
Cheers, Colin.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Fuel stabiliser is a good idea as modern fuels 'go off' after a while. I use this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Briggs-Strat ... 2749.l2649
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

liammonty wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:01 pm
Myrtles Man wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:59 pm

You could, but I'd be concerned about the effect long-term on the pressure plate spring strength. But maybe I'm overthinking it!
I used to be concerned about this. Then realised that cars are full of springs of various types which remain under compression without too much apparent harm. Torsion bars, cart springs seem OK after 60 years of holding up a car in a semi-compressed state. Best example of all is valve springs. When an engine is stopped, some springs are heavily compressed. Plenty of engines can be restarted and used normally after half a century lay-up without apparent ill-effects. So I don't worry about pressure plate springs.
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

Thanks all for your replies! I hadn't heard of the 'clutch' tip before to prevent sticking, that sounds sensible.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I like to let the engine run for half an hour at a time, or more, once a week. I’d be interested to know if others advise against this?

I back the car out the garage and use the brakes as well to prevent the cylinders seizing up. Like others I use fuel stabiliser. I leave the car in gear rather than using the handbrake to prevent brakes seizing on.

At the suggestion of another member I connect the battery to a (cheap: £15 from Amazon) solar charger to trickle charge it. This keeps it nice and healthy in even the coldest of weather.
Last edited by MorrisJohn on Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Hi morris.john.
Your procedures sound very similar to mine , even to a battery ‘ conditioner / charger mine is mains operated. I tend to leave the car in neutral however ( its garaged ). The battery is swopped from car to mower and is now fourteen years old , coping OK.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

It is best to run these cars regularly* - that is what they were made for. Even if you don't want to use it much in winter, going for a run on fine, dry days every few weeks will prevent things seizing up and is much better for the car than periodically leaving it idling on the driveway for half an hour.
* and that is advice from a long-deceased great-aunt of mine, one of the early women drivers, who ran Minors herself in the 50's and 60's. In previous decades, she drove Morris 8's and was always very loyal to the Morris brand! :wink:
Swijesiri
Minor Friendly

Post by Swijesiri »

Hi
I tend to do the same as morrisjohn and have been for years. It doesn't get to cold London typically so every other week or so (or probably a bit longer if I'm beening honest) I take it for good run as well.

Will definitely try the fuel stabiliser in the future though good idea that!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Basil is chocked in the garage, with handbrake off and out of gear.
I took Basil out for a short run to a nearby lane this afternoon, I had the idea of taking some 'Christmassy Photos'. Had some fun getting off the driveway once he was out of the garage....but got a few photos. Might consider having some Christmas cards made for this year.... :lol:
DSCF9001.JPG
DSCF9001.JPG (827.7 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Lovely Picture!
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Lovely picture geo. I had the same idea...
Attachments
2504DA31-DDF8-4268-9197-E9B2FBC47ECC.jpeg
2504DA31-DDF8-4268-9197-E9B2FBC47ECC.jpeg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 1967 times

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Nice
Our snow has all gone now, so I'm glad I seized the opportunity when I did. The drivers side trafficator isn't fitted at the moment, asI took it out to establish why it intermittently sticks part way out, so I might have to photoshop a chrome line onto the photo.... :lol:
Or perhaps not as it doesn't notice.

Perhaps a new topic, Morris Minor Seasonal Scenes...
Basil the 1955 series II

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Good shout for the new topic. Didn’t notice the trafficator haha, wouldn’t worry about photoshopping it.
geoberni wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:14 pm Nice
Our snow has all gone now, so I'm glad I seized the opportunity when I did. The drivers side trafficator isn't fitted at the moment, asI took it out to establish why it intermittently sticks part way out, so I might have to photoshop a chrome line onto the photo.... :lol:
Or perhaps not as it doesn't notice.

Perhaps a new topic, Morris Minor Seasonal Scenes...