Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stanmo
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Starting Motor

Post by Stanmo »

Hello all. Trying to do all I can myself with my new Morris Minor. Today’s task was to replace the speedo bulbs as one side was dark. All went well, removed speedo replaced bulbs and put back. Turn lights on and now all is bright. However my problem is when I tried to start her up. Yesterday she fired up fine, anyhow now first click of key all lights on speedo are there and then on second click which would normally start her I just hear a whirring noise from starting motor and nothing else!! Have I done something when removing speedo?
simmitc

Re: Starting Motor

Post by simmitc »

I suspect that you have pulled a wire off the ignition switch. The white wire with a red tracer provides power to operate the solenoid. With the proximity of the ignition switch to the Speedo... :wink:
Stanmo
Minor Friendly

Post by Stanmo »

So speedometer out again to check?
Stanmo
Minor Friendly

Post by Stanmo »

Just checked and all wires seem to be in place? I also did the solenoid check you suggested last time I had starting problems. Solenoid is ticking when bridging the ignition terminal but when touching the two main poles with screwdriver there’s just a spark no engine turn?
Attachments
AF0CD49D-9B2A-4BA9-AF9B-F77F5EC77EC7.jpeg
AF0CD49D-9B2A-4BA9-AF9B-F77F5EC77EC7.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 2257 times
Stanmo
Minor Friendly

Post by Stanmo »

Would the starting motor just stop suddenly? I’ve read up about them not engaging fly wheel but all was fine yesterday with no indication of trouble ahead. How would I check this?? Thanks in advance
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

So there's a whirring noise from starting motor when operating the switch, but the engine isn't turning over, yes? It sounds like the starter is spinning but the Bendix pinion is not engaging with the flywheel. The Bendix pinion can sometimes jam if it gets contaminated with any dirt, etc. Is there also plenty of charge in the battery?
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Try putting the car in gear and rocking it, if the starter has jammed that may free it.
Or free it up by spannering the nut on the end of the starter.
Stanmo
Minor Friendly

Post by Stanmo »

Battery is at 12 volt and now the whirring seems to have stopped so nothing now?
Stanmo
Minor Friendly

Post by Stanmo »

Update / just put in gear rocked it and whirring is back but still no start
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

I would have thought your battery should read 12.4 volts if fully charged . When you say 12 is that an approximation.
Stanmo
Minor Friendly

Post by Stanmo »

I read with a multimeter and it’s at 11.9. But I,‘be had doors open changing window seals and dash lights so may explain slight drop. Would this effect starting motor?
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Could do — a fully charged battery should read 12 plus !!!!!
Stanmo
Minor Friendly

Post by Stanmo »

Battery is good and usually 12.4 plus, but as said today been tinkering so may explain loss slightly. Should I remove starting motor to check? How easy a job is this for me and my spanner’s?
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

First thing I would try is fully charge the battery and see if the starter engages .
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Do you not have a starting handle? Every Minor was supplied with one. They are a very useful thing! :wink:
Stanmo
Minor Friendly

Post by Stanmo »

I do have a handle but not totally sure I how to use. I yet it through bumper and turn keeping thumb out the way but didn’t do much so gave up?
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

The starting handle has helped me out on many occasions. Always check first that: Hand brake is on, gear lever in neutral, ignition on & some choke depending on how cold it is. Mine used to start with half a turn if set up correctly :D
It can be tricky feeding the handle through the bumper and engaging with the starter dog at first, but it gets easy with practice. As you pointed out always keep your thumb out the way just in case it kicks back!
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Stanmo may get his car started ‘ on the handle ‘ but he still needs to sort the starter motor issue— unless it is the battery , IMO the reading he gave ( below 12 ) might be the cause , and the easiest to eliminate .
Stanmo
Minor Friendly

Post by Stanmo »

Plan today is borrow jump leads or charger and eliminate the battery issue as suggested. Just one update which may help .. last night I tried one last time to turn her over, well it was my 11 year old who insisted he would try! He switch the headlights on first and I was stood in their beam, anyway when he turned the key the headlights went out completely and came back on when he stopped. So on top of me changing dash light bulbs (for LED) and tightening ignition barrel what’s wrong with my Stan? Does this sound like an earthing problem? I’m pulling hair as I’ve not touched anything other than the bulbs and speedo?

Any advice on this new update would be appreciated.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Could be many things - including a flat battery ! If you had the head lights on without the engine running you are draining the battery . It may not be a flat battery but before you start looking for other causes make sure you have it fully charged — reading 12.4 plus !