Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

2021 National

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
On a more upbeat note and assuming people are starting (or have already started) to plan for this, are there any thoughts as to when / where this years National will be held?
I'm assuming it will be late July onwards??
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: 2021 National

Post by geoberni »

It was announced quite recently that it was cancelled to be replaced by a Single Day event, date TBD.
I'm not sure where I saw it, but it's now showing as such on the Club website.

www.mmoc.org.uk/Events/
Basil the 1955 series II

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

We had an announcement yesterday sent out to all the branches. I'll just post it all here -

I am in discussions with Kelmarsh about holding a picnic 🧺 on 27th June.
If enough people are interested to allow camping 🏕 we could offer availability on the Saturday and Sunday night although no showers or power toilet units would be provided. The Tardis type toilets are ideal as people can sanitise as they leave / enter the unit, an Elsan disposal point would be provided for caravans and motor homes. A small entry and camping fee will need to be set, but this can be collected on arrival for camping and the picnic.
Camping over the weekend would be on spaced pitches to ensure we follow guidelines, without a marquee, entertainment or bar, more a weekend away at a loverly location.
Sunday, I will try and organise a caterer and Kelmarsh House and gardens to be open where an entry fee is required.
If we get the go ahead , then people will need to pre register on the club website /office to ensue the club can manage numbers. Members can then pay on arrival for either the picnic (Sunday) and or camping.
Clearly this is subject to the Government COVID guidelines, but should allow members to meet up in a safe environment.
Further details will be in the May Minor Matters regarding the event.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Good that your doing something but still disappointing nonetheless, especially for those who don't book / register soon enough to be 'allowed' to attend.
Personally I was looking forward to perusing the car boot type stands.......

As a side issue, the lockdown roadmap suggests (relevant section pasted below) that it may all be over by June 21st, why was it not proposed to hold the 2021 National in full after this date?
Best wishes,
Mike.

Step 4, no earlier than 21 June:

It is hoped all legal limits on social contact can be removed.
We hope to reopen nightclubs, and lift restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3.
This will also guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.
In the meantime, the vaccination programme continues at pace, with the announcement of a new target to offer a first dose of the vaccine to every adult by the end of July.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:40 pm Good that your doing something but still disappointing nonetheless (especially for those who don't book / register soon enough to be 'allowed' to attend.
Personally I was looking forward to perusing the car boot type stands.......

As a side issue, the lockdown roadmap suggests (relevant section pasted below) that it may all be over by June 21st, why was it not proposed to hold the 2021 National in full after this date?
Best wishes,
Mike.
Because when the date was proposed, no announcements had been made about lockdown ending and/or the roadmap for restrictions lifting. It was only announced yesterday, but plans of some sort have been being discussed pretty much since last years date got cancelled 8)
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Bear in mind that the dates in the roadmap are the earliest possible, and if there are any set backs such as a new variant or spike in cases, then those dates could easily go back; so just moving the rally to a later date is no guarantee of it going ahead. I don;t see how the club could commit to anything like the normal event in these uncertain times.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

None of us can plan for sure for anything yet for the Summer season in Europe.
Most clubs, MMOC included, and classic car event organisers are doing their best to think outside the box to offer some form of gathering if and when that is allowed.
The MMOC picnic proposal should be applauded, not criticised. It's a low cost, hence low expense to the Club, way of getting members together if allowed.
Years ago there was no camping, then with no toilet (1983), then only with a basic loo no showers and we all survived!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

With respect to those trying to make plans, unless there is the prospect of a full blown National rally, maybe they are a bit premature. There surely needs to be amenities, entertainment, trade stands and public boot sales going on to ensure a good turnout, and as implied, at this stage those things would be hard to organise. Just meeting up and looking at Minors would, I’m sure, put many people off from travelling any distance.

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Well as this thread shows, you're never gonna please all of the people all of the time. I think pretty much anything the club can do will be grabbed at with open arms, as people are desperate just to get out of their house for an hour or so. No, clearly it won't be for everyone, and we certainly DON'T want people to come long distances which would not be responsible anyway. Personally, I'd freaking well WALK there for a chance to see a few friends, and the Minor is strictly optional :D
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Well since, whatever happens with the timing of the end of lockdown, it will still be restricted numbers only, I would think that the 2022 National (restriction free version :D ) will be well attended.
Best wishes,
Mike.