Looking for my Old Minor Convertible RDE597G

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dash60
MMOC Member: No

Looking for my Old Minor Convertible RDE597G

Post by dash60 »

HI Just wondered if anyone has seen my old convertible around. No change of owner or new mot since i sold it in 2008.
Would love to own it again ( or 1 similar).
Heathfiled East Sussex. 07775 861060
Thankyou Mark
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Looking for my Old Minor Convertible RDE597G

Post by geoberni »

More to the point, it's been untaxed for 10 years. So on the road for 3 years after you sold it, but now rotting away somewhere or it's been broken for spares perhaps.
Clearly the current owner doesn't know the SORN rules. SORN has been around since 1998, so I would guess it's probably been broken up and not correctly documented.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

It could also have gone abroad? A car which I owned some years ago still shows as untaxed on the DVLA computer but the dealer I sold it to exported it. Obviously the DVLA were not informed. This could possibly be the case here too.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:38 pm It could also have gone abroad? A car which I owned some years ago still shows as untaxed on the DVLA computer but the dealer I sold it to exported it. Obviously the DVLA were not informed. This could possibly be the case here too.
Yes, I'd forgotten that option.

I sold a Mitsubishi Spacewagon in 2005, I know the Polish guy who brought it took it back to Poland and did a LPG conversion on it because he actually rang me from Poland a couple of months after buying it to ask if the Injectors had ever been changed. :roll:
It's still on the DVLA database as untaxed since Aug 2005, despite a new V5C being issued March 2006.... :roll: :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

Doesn't seem to add up... So the last MOT expired July 2008, but the tax was due May 2011 and it hasn't been SORN. You have to wonder how was it taxed it without an having an MOT?
Anyone remember that DVLA car tax advert with the stalking computer. "You can't hide from the computer" "It knows if you haven't renewed your car tax or declared your vehicle off the road and will automatically issue you with an £80 penalty" :-?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dyKk2m3D4
Maybe in this case the computer gave it up as a bad job and went down the pub for a pint :lol:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MCYorks wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:54 am Doesn't seem to add up... So the last MOT expired July 2008, but the tax was due May 2011 and it hasn't been SORN. You have to wonder how was it taxed it without an having an MOT?
I haven't checked the relative dates of legislation introduction, but even back then is that not just because they would have applied for Historic Tax Class which had MOT exemption?

The old date for MOT exemption was fixed at 1970 for a long while if I recall; a G reg would be a '69.
Basil the 1955 series II

MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

geoberni wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:35 am
MCYorks wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:54 am Doesn't seem to add up... So the last MOT expired July 2008, but the tax was due May 2011 and it hasn't been SORN. You have to wonder how was it taxed it without an having an MOT?
I haven't checked the relative dates of legislation introduction, but even back then is that not just because they would have applied for Historic Tax Class which had MOT exemption?

The old date for MOT exemption was fixed at 1970 for a long while if I recall; a G reg would be a '69.
I've had to double check myself, because I couldn't remember the timeline of the changes, but the tax exemption and MOT exemption were originally based on separate requirements.

-In 1997 the government stopped the rolling 25 year (VED) tax exemption and froze the scheme to only apply to historic vehicles built before 1 January 1973. Apparently much to the annoyance of Allegro owners!

-From 18 November 2012, Vehicles manufactured before 1960 will no longer have to pass an MoT. So historic vehicles built from 1960 to 1972 still needed an MOT.

-In 2014 the Government introduced the 40-year rolling tax exemption for the Historic Vehicle taxation class. So a vehicle that’s 40 or more years old can be registered in the 'historic' class and be tax exempt. However, the MOT exemption still only applied to vehicles manufactured before 1960.

-From 20 May 2018 the rules changed again. If the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago and registered in the Historic Vehicle taxation class, then it would be MOT exempt, providing no 'substantial changes' had been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years. So essentially the tax and MOT exemption are now in sync at a rolling 40 years. If I've understood all the above correctly :-?

Apparently all these rule changes had an unintended consequence: Allowing late 70's vehicles to display Black and Silver number plates, which they could never have legally display previously :-?

Your right G reg can be a '69 as it covers the period Aug '68 to July '69. DVLA is showing RDE597G was registered in September 1968.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

So from all that, if I've read it correctly, the whole idea of MOT exemption was only introduced in 2012, therefore your point was valid, How did it get taxed until 2011, when the MOD ran out in 2008?

Probably because DVLA records are corrupted. They're not exactly the most Computer literate division of Government.....
Basil the 1955 series II