Do I need to notify insurance when car is away for repair?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Do I need to notify insurance when car is away for repair?

Post by Oldmogman »

Does anyone know if you need to notify your insurance company when your car goes off for repair?

Mine is off for a bit of cosmetic surgery, which might take a couple of weeks, so I'm guessing that might count as a different place of storage?
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: Do I need to notify insurance when car is away for repair?

Post by Sleeper »

I think you'll have to get your Binoculars on...it'll be in the small print of your policy.

John ;-)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Even if it not a insurance requirement it is best to notify your insurance company.
Do not take a not required answer from your insurer.
Make sure they note the details of the repairer, the location of the repairer and the estimated time of the vehicle being at the repairers. Make sure also that you get the contact details of the person you spoke to at the insurance company.

Oldmogman
Minor Fan

Post by Oldmogman »

Thanks guys!
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

I agree with Phil - there's no harm in giving them the info anyway. It always pays to be ultra cautious with 'Uberrima fides' contracts. I used to insure my Traveller as garaged, and in a chance conversation with my insurers agent I discovered I was potentially uninsured when I brought the car home wet and put it on the drive to dry before putting it away. I changed my cover for 'driveway' rather than 'garage', no extra fee, all bets covered now no matter where it is!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Haha - if anything falls on it from the garage roof Mike, your insurers will tell you it isn't covered and it should have been safely stored on your driveway like you told them it was! :lol:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:42 pm Haha - if anything falls on it from the garage roof Mike, your insurers will tell you it isn't covered and it should have been safely stored on your driveway like you told them it was! :lol:
Yep, they'll get out of paying any which way they can. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

Like Mike I took away garage from the insurance. I now have them insured on a public road which in practice I hardly ever do (1 in the garage 1 under the carport). However I feel I have all bases covered if I park it on the road for a couple of hours outside my house which I might do occasionally
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

I think it's very wise to put your insurance company in the picture.

Last year when i insured my traveller, i noted that under the terms and conditions of my policy I was obliged to notify them of any modifications etc. Rear seat belts, front disc brakes, etc.etc. Or any other additional value items fitted to the car.

I was surprised to see that they had omitted the list of items, when I received my paperwork from them.

After a telephone conversation with my insurers, I pointed out that THEY had specifically requested those items under the terms and conditions of contract.
Needless to say, they offered me an apology, and they posted me an amended contract with a list of items I had previously given them.

Don't give them any wriggle room. They will sure as hell take it in the event of a claim.
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Also

When renewing your policy, dont forget to ask for an increase in the agreed value if you have done a lot of work on the car since last time.
I have just done this with mine since I installed a rebuilt engine and gearbox, and the premium was no more expensive.

Phil P