Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RichardBarnes
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Long engine stabiliser

Post by RichardBarnes »

I saw this Traveller for sale. Looks very tidy. I’ve never seen the longer engine stabiliser bar. Has anyone else?
Attachments
7C1ADD79-EDF7-4DE2-9A44-2AB307D4A3DE.png
7C1ADD79-EDF7-4DE2-9A44-2AB307D4A3DE.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1080 times
1948 Series MM, 1970 Traveller
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Long engine stabiliser

Post by geoberni »

Plenty.
Originally the after market Grumpy's Engine Steady (Grumpy no longer trading), it's still available from ESM, along with the original BMC offering:
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/search/engine-steady

If you search the forum you'll find quite a few posts about it over the years.
Basil the 1955 series II

RichardBarnes
Minor Friendly

Post by RichardBarnes »

Thanks for that. Does it make much difference? Worth installing with a 1098cc engine?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I'm a little confused by the way your posts are worded....
RichardBarnes wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:24 pm I saw this Traveller for sale. Looks very tidy. I’ve never seen the longer engine stabiliser bar. Has anyone else?
Implies that you've seen the BMC Factory fit shorter one, but not the longer one...

But I'm not sure here if you're talking about fitting the Grumpy's instead of the factory fit, or just fitting one because your current car doesn't have one...
RichardBarnes wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:44 pm Thanks for that. Does it make much difference? Worth installing with a 1098cc engine?
But as a simple answer, it was installed on the Series II to, as the Manual describes it, 'deal with cases of clutch judder'.

Since I don't believe they ever stopped fitting them for the rest of production, irrespective of engine fit, I'd say yes.
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

One of the best mods you can do to a Minor.
Uses the two O/S surplus damper mount bolt holes to secure the steady to the body. The Grumpys engine steady is more robust than the factory improvised mount as fitted to later cars.
I fitted a Grumpys engine steady kit to my Ser 2 fitted with a 1098cc engine and gearbox and never looked back. :D

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’ve never given this a thought, assuming the original one does the same thing. Although I suppose they are produced as an improvement. Not wanting to doubt but what would that improvement be, if I may ask ? Possibly a tougher anchor point on the bulkhead?

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
£21.54 (including VAT) from ESM, so not that expensive an upgrade either (also allow about £5 on top for postage).
For clarification though, is it that the mounting point is better or that the design itself offers better stability / is better at stopping the engine moving forward under heavy breaking, which is what I was given to understand is one of its purposes, thus avoiding the fan impacting with the radiator. But correct me if I'm wrong about this.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well that’s my basic query, the plus points. However regarding your thoughts about it stopping the engine moving forward, that’s one of the jobs the gearbox retaining wire does. I would think the steady Itself has little effect stopping forward movement. not least because of its length.

Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Chipper »

Indeed, the original bulkhead mounting bracket has a tendency to crack (as the one on my 1970 Traveller has), so the longer steady bracket should theoretically give a far sturdier support, to help prevent the engine rocking on its mounts as you change gear, thus making for less NVH (noise, vibration, harshness), smoother driveability, etc.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
RichardBarnes
Minor Friendly

Post by RichardBarnes »

Thanks geoberni, you are right, my question was vague. I was wondering if there was any point in removing the factory installed short stabiliser for the longer one. I suppose the answer to that is no, if the original is in good condition. I did not realise early A series engines lacked the stabiliser. My current car is a 1948 MM with sidevalve motor, so not applicable.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The point at which the Grumpys engine steady bar attaches to the body forms part of the damper mounting crossmember which is very strong relative to the factory modified body bracket so there is little chance of the engine steady mount body attachment failing.
The engine steady bar has no impact on the ability of the engine and gearbox to move forward under braking and was introduced to help eliminate clutch judder.
The introduction of the steady wire was a result of changing the style and type of gearbox mounts. Pre Minor 1000 the gearbox was restrained by a gearbox mount that held the gearbox captive and did not allow fore and aft movement. When the Minor 1000 was introduced with its remote gearchange the gearbox mounts were of a different style/type and the material used for the actual mount was (and in some ways still is) too soft/flexible which allowed the gearbox and engine to move fore and aft. To overcome this fore and aft movement the gearbox steady was introduced as a necessary afterthought.