Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Poly engine mounts - anyone tried them?

Post by James k »

Hi,

My Traveller is currently in pieces being resprayed. I've had the typical problem with hard engine mounts since I rebuilt the engine a few years ago so I thought it might be a good opportunity to attempt to change them for something softer. I came across these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... 4212561514

Has anyone tried these or similar? How would poly mounts compare to rubber in terms of vibration. They are very expensive though!

Thanks,
James
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Poly engine mounts - anyone tried them?

Post by les »

Don’t blame you asking for opinions, as they are over ten times the price of the standard item! You might find some new old stock if you’re doubtful about new standard ones.

James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Yes, exactly! I'd only want them if they were car-transforming good. I've had a look around for NOS but not found anything yet. I might try club spares.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I’m about to fit new rubber ones to mine. The price of those poly ones is eye watering!

Don’t poly bushes have a tendency to squeak as well?
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The poly engine mounts are expensive but you get what you pay for.

Poly bushes - grease upon installation and fit grease nipples where possible to continue the lubrication.
Eye bolt poly bush.JPG
Eye bolt poly bush.JPG (202.96 KiB) Viewed 920 times
The last set of engine mount rubbers I obtained were from Spares-man and were BMC NOS. He may have some left. Give him a try.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I just dropped lucky last night, I found a pair of NOS ones on ebay that were mis-described as gearbox mounts.

I put some new repro ones in when I changed my rebuilt engine, and it is very noticeable how much you can feel the engine through the car.

Phil P
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

In my experience, polybushes tend to be stiffer than rubber - at least for suspension applications. Assuming that is the same for these then you engine might move less but will also transmit more vibration throughout the car. Interesting all their photos are of race cars where you're not too bothered about vibration and comfort....
Glad to be back!
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I think the original material used for the flexible mounts was ‘Metalastik’, a product that has probably long ceased to be manufactured. These flexible mounts have a hard life, so it’s amazing how long they last for (usually outlasting the car). Something that can definitely be done to extend their life is keeping them clean and dry and immediately wiping off any oil or grease which gets on to them.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to see if club spares have any NOS ones. I'll hopefully be reassembling my Traveller soon so I've got a list of stuff I'm trying to get.