Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
daniel-b
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Introduction

Post by daniel-b »

Hello,

I thought I should introduce myself on this forum, since I find it so useful, and since I recently joined the club.

I recently acquired a 1954 Morris Minor series 2. It was restored about 10 years ago. Bodywork seems very good, mechanically it seems good too. Nevertheless, I have been working on it quite intensively - mostly on some truly horrific wiring, and some other miscellaneous stuff too.

The previous owner made several "improvements", none of which seemed to actually work, so I've been removing them. I have removed several metres of superfluous wiring, a non-functional and leaky electric windscreen washer, a very inaccurate and ugly water temperature gauge, and two(!) radios. Most of the core electrical components worked OK when I got the car, except the windscreen wipers, which I fixed. I also put in a new light switch to replace the ugly monstrosity that it originally had. Still plenty of work to be done, and I also want to give it a full service (at least) before I start driving it regularly.

One question: since I got the windscreen wipers running I have realised that both spindles revolve in the same direction rather that the opposite direction. While this is quite entertaining to watch, I would like to fix it. I know that the solution is to turn one of the wheel boxes over, but I am unsure how this is done. There seem to be four screws on each wheel box, do these all have to come out? and does anything else have to be released or do you simply pull out the wheel box and replace it the other way up?

This is a video of the windscreen wipers:
https://youtu.be/B6s4CkCdeKQ

Thanks,

Daniel
Attachments
morris minor edited.jpg
morris minor edited.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 677 times
KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Introduction

Post by KeithL »

I'd leave the wipers as they are - they look brilliant. :D

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Welcome aboard!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Hi Daniel and welcome :D
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I agree that the wipers look great, but if you want to revert to the "clap hands" operation, then, if I recall correctly, you need to turn one of the spindles upside down so that on one the rack enters at the top whilst on the other it enters at the bottom. The rack can move in only one direction at a time, but turning the spindle gearbox through 180 degrees has the effect of changing the direction of the spindle rotation.
daniel-b
Minor Friendly

Post by daniel-b »

Hi,

Thanks everyone.

Leaving the wipers the way they are is probably very good advice. If it ain't broke...

D.