Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Retropower Minor MX-5

Post by Bowie69 »

I take some of you reasonable chaps on here have seen the work going into what promises to be a very nice 'restomod' cars, over on the Retropower Youtube channel?

They give weekly updates covering all their projects, but there is almost always some MM content, here's their first video in the 'Retropower uncut' series that sees the Morris quite early on:

https://youtu.be/TN5czpWiNug?t=291

If you look at the uncut playlist you can see the other episodes and see the progress, that video is from a year ago, so a lot has moved on, but it is not yet in paint!

The work gone into it is quite astonishing to be honest, and gives quite a few ideas I may want to do in the future ;)

Hope you can enjoy...
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Retropower Minor MX-5

Post by jagnut66 »

A great deal of eingneering skill involved and you have to admire it for that and the workmanship but I note his line where he says ' we are getting rid of all of the Morris Minor' (5:10 in the video).
So apart from an old shell (and then only the top part, as they have a redesigned chassis, which makes it appear like the floorpan has been disposed of too), it brings to mind the question: "When is a Morris Minor not a Morris Minor?".......
Only my opinion but one which I expect I'll be duely slated for....... :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Everyone is allowed an opinion, especially on a car, and certainly not worth falling out over ;)

In the following episodes there's a lot more detail, especially around the bodywork widening, nose re-shaping, and as you say, floors.

The chassis ends up being made essentially from a tube transmission tunnel outwards, picking up on the MX-5 mounting points, so you are right, there's not a lot left of the floor, that's for sure.

I knew it would be controversial posting this, but that's OK ;)
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

Bowie69 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:21 pm I knew it would be controversial posting this, but that's OK ;)
If you want real controversy just post ‘cats are better than dogs’

Cheers, I’ll follow the vids
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

nose re-shaping
Which kind of sets me firmer in my original opinion.....
Well they are........OOOPS!! :lol: :lol:

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

This is how it should have been done.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tqqIsO3Rvw

Sadly no more, has no registration number and was offered up for sale on ebay recently ( no logbook,no registration ).

John ;-)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Yes, that one was nicely done. Would have kept the original Minor combined rear light / indicator units rather than use VW Beatle ones but otherwise a nice car.
A shame its future looks bleak after so much work.
I could see that being what a modern version of the Minor would have looked like, unless BMW had got hold of the Morris name of course......
Thank God for small mercies....
Best wishes,
Mike.
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Mick Lynch wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:20 pm
Bowie69 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:21 pm I knew it would be controversial posting this, but that's OK ;)
Like most things in life, there is a third way, I'd rather, and do, have neither :p

I managed to find the artists concept for this on Twitter, won't be to everyone's taste (but what is?), but think it has a certain presence:
ESwdXmhWkAUrNiG.jpeg
ESwdXmhWkAUrNiG.jpeg (127.4 KiB) Viewed 702 times
The metal forming is something that has taken them weeks, if not more, and all done with hand-forming tools.
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

Shades of VW neo-beetle meets Chrysler PT Cruiser. Is good though.