Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Duplicated Chassis No

Post by Nourish »

I applied for a V5 for my project but my form has been returned saying that there is already a vehicle with that chassis number registered with the DVLA and that I need to register the car with them.
I'm correct with my numbers and I suspect that these numbers have been transferred to another. What would be the outcome of this?
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Duplicated Chassis No

Post by simmitc »

It probably depends on which is the genuine car. What proof do you have that your car us the correct one? Worst case is that the DVLA allocate a new VIN to your car and you apply for a new registration number.
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

The paint on the rear side of the bulkhead where the number is stamped is perfect.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The chassis number is stamped on the off side of the bulkhead by the bonnet pull rod/main harness.

MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

Nourish wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:30 am I applied for a V5 for my project but my form has been returned saying that there is already a vehicle with that chassis number registered with the DVLA and that I need to register the car with them.
Did you apply for the V5C using the V62 form and give them the full chassis number (inc the prefix)? I assume you know both the chassis number and registration mark. Did the car come with any old documentation when you bought it? e.g. tax discs, RF60, MOT certs, etc.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Best advice I can give is send DVLA photo's of the STAMPED in chassis number - this was done after paint applied thus down to bare metal - along with the VIN, the body number & NMP plates (ideally if body code can be read on the latter), also the engine number (if original).

Also photos of the car, with regn plates in situ.

Compose a letter confirming the chassis number tally's with both the body & engine number.

Most likely a clerical error, certainly duplications on the Minor LCVs, though, doubt body number could be confused with a VIN on the passenger varient.

Have a go at this and let us know what happens.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

ok thank you all
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Most likely a clerical error, certainly duplications on the Minor LCVs, though, doubt body number could be confused with a VIN on the passenger varient.
It will be very interesting to follow this, hopefully for 'Nourish' it is a simple clerical error, as 'POMMReg' suggests.
However it could also be a case of a vehicle identity being stolen at some point. In which case both owners may believe they have the 'original' car, it could then get very complicated and messy.
But it would be interesting to see how it all panned out and how the law stands / is applied, as this could have a bearing on anyone else who is unfortunate enough to find themselves in this position.
In which case forewarned would be forearmed.
If it is (unfortunately) a case of the latter I wonder if they will be able to backtrack and identify the person(s) responsible.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

OP noted the chassis nos. is stamped into the vehicle, but no mention of the chassis plate itself(?).

If this is the case, then is there a chance of (ahem) "Ooops a daisy" having happened.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:15 pm It will be very interesting to follow this, hopefully for 'Nourish' it is a simple clerical error, as 'POMMReg' suggests.
I agree Mike, hopefully it's a simple clerical error. As most of the old RF60/VE60 logbooks had handwritten vehicle details, it wasn't unheard of for them to be misread and the VIN number have been incorrectly recorded on first registration with DVLA. That error has the potential to persist for decades if the owner never noticed, and could result in two vehicles having the same VIN on paper while not in practice. However, both vehicles would still have different reg marks.

The question is: Is the OP trying to register it as a used/rebuilt vehicle or simply get a replacement V5C for a vehicle already registered with DVLA? I didn't think you could apply for a replacement V5C without both the reg mark and VIN.