Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sean01597
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Triumph 1500?

Post by sean01597 »

a friend who works at a garage says they have an Austin Healy in for some work, including an engine change. he has been told it has a Triumph 1500 engine and box and wondered if they would fit my Minor. i have asked for more details.
Will they fit?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Triumph 1500?

Post by ManyMinors »

You CAN make it fit. It has been done before and I have driven one. It is quite a lot of work however for vary little gain over (for example) a BMC "A" Series 1275 engine which will more or less fit straight in. You can also fit the Triumph's overdrive unit to make it even more interesting.

Goodness knows why any Austin Healey would be fitted with such an engine :-? The Triumph engine was fitted to the last MG Midgets but most owners prefer the earlier 1275 "A" Series equipped models which should tell you something perhaps?
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

I'd agree with ManyMinors in that it doesn't really offer any benefit. I had a Dolomite with the 1500 engine in it, and though it was OK, the nature of the engine is very different to the A Series. It is relatively torquey, but slow-revving, and if you are brave enough to rev it hard (for little benefit and a lot of noise) it doesn't generally thank you for it. Crank end float is a known issue on these, with relatively frequent bottom end work needed, as the thrust washers wear fast. The 1500 started out life as an 803, like the A Series, and grew and grew, ending up at nearly double its original capacity, and I think in 1500 form was a little compromised.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

You can also fit the Triumph's overdrive unit to make it even more interesting.
I have an Triumph overdrive gearbox that I intend fitting to Hetty, once my garage has a roof.
Triumph engines do seem slower than comparable 'A' series units (Still love my Herald though).
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The change to the Triumph 1500cc engine was done to comply with emission controls especially in the USA. The poor old 'A' Series had reached its limits as regards emission controls and adding the emission control equipment saw a considerable loss of power. BL which owned Triumph had the engine available and the rest is history.
The easy route is to fit the MG Midget/Sprite engine/gearbox which will give sufficient power/torque even with a single carb.

sean01597
Minor Friendly

Post by sean01597 »

thanks everyone, i will not be pursuing it.