Adjusting the original seats up/down back/forwards.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use

Would this appeal to anyone personally if it was made avaliable commercially?

yes
56%
no
44%

Total votes: 9

Sam.M
MMOC Member: No

Adjusting the original seats up/down back/forwards.

Post by Sam.M »

:lol: Hi my name is Sam :D

I am doing an a-level engineering project involving developing, and building a bracket for the original drivers seat. It will allow for the seat to be adjusted both horizontaly (more than it is currently) and vertically.

As part of the course work I would like to find out if this product would have a potential market.

Also, please could anyone give an idiea of what they would be willing to pay for one as I need to guage a rough budget to use in the building of this contraption.

Thank you all!!! :D
Last edited by Sam.M on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
always look on the bright side of life!
Cam

Post by Cam »

Sam, in your poll, are you asking us if we know if the item would appeal to anyone (in general), or if the item would appeal to us personally?

I personally would not buy one as I have no problem with the original set-up, but I'm sure there are a few people that might, if the product was quality made and at the right price. :D
Sam.M

Post by Sam.M »

sorry, should have made it clearer,
Thanks for your help :D
andrewsxt
Minor Fan

Post by andrewsxt »

I wouldn`t need one but my wife who is only 5`4" would love one.
Vernon
Minor Fan

Post by Vernon »

My wife would love more adjustment on the drivers seat. She is just under 5' and I have had to turn the original seat brackets round 180 degrees to move the seat forward. This must be a common problem for shorter drivers as many people put blocks under the frame and use a cushion behind their back. I suppose I might pay up to £50 for an adjusting bracket.
grahamt7
Minor Fan
Location: Manchester (nee Glasgow), UK, Missionary Worker (Scotsman living in England since 1990)

Post by grahamt7 »

I'm with Vernon....I'm 6'2" but other half is 5'1" and driving the Mog is a crisis for her.

Graham
Graham.
MMOC 63699, Free Radical "Say it and be damned!"
Scarlett, 67 2-door OLD 992E - until 22nd July only
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 Diesel
2010 Chrysler 300C 3.0 Diesel
1994 Volkswagen Golf 1.8I - 33,000 miles
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

This is an interesting idea which I had several years ago (but didn't do anything about ... :-? ). My wife can't reach the pedals so a device like this would be very useful in case she needed to drive my mog. £30-£50 would be an acceptable price. However I'm not sure where you would stand with product liability. I guess you would have to demonstrate that the seat would be at least as securely fastened as with the original brackets.

Another useful device I thought of for a Minor would be rubber 'feet' to clip-on at the rear of the seat frame (on either side where it presses on the floor), designed to help absorb shocks & vibrations. Effectively a secondary shock absorber. My mog came with rolled-up pieces of carpet which look rubbish but they actually do work to some extent - but resilient rubber pads would be much better. If it (the rubber pad) were say, 1cm thick it wouldn't tilt the seat forward very much.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
andrewsxt
Minor Fan

Post by andrewsxt »

Sorry Chris your too late for that one aswell.

http://shop.morrisminorspares.co.uk/ima ... TRM809.jpg
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

If it (the rubber pad) were say, 1cm thick
That would NEVER work, Mogs work in English, so it would have to be about 1/2 inch :lol:
Sam.M

Post by Sam.M »

thanks for the feedback so far, I'll post up any updates when i've confirmed a design (got 3 to check with the client.)

Thankyou :D
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Sorry Chris your too late for that one as well.
:P I must admit I didn't know that ESM did these, described as 'Front Seat Rubber Raising Block (2 Required Per Seat)'. However they look a bit too basic (to be kind) and I doubt that they do much to absorb shocks. I was thinking more of a flat pad at least 3 inches wide by 4 inches long with a metal cradle on top and clips which would firmly secure it to the seat legs. It would also have the benefit of spreading the weight so the carpet didn't suffer deep grooves.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hmm seems to be a lot of potential female drivers are resticted due to being vertically challenged so sounds a good idea, Gareth could also use one I expect :wink:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706