Membership Renewals

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use

Do you agree with the move to raise the membership to provide a free National Rally?

Yes, seems like a good idea
5%
Yes, If I can get to the rally
No votes
No, I'd rather choose my rallies, and pay for them
95%

Total votes: 19

Kevin
MMOC Member: No

Post by Kevin »

A couple of our branch members were at the AGM and what caused the rift was the way in which the proposal was basically put forward under any other business so that Martin Flanders and others were not aware of the proposal, and the proposer had come multi handed to make sure they pushed it through even though Martin Flanders had said that there was no current need to raise subscriptions and then to have a motion that contradicts his recommendations sprung on him, so you can see what all the fuss was about if only they had been a bit more open about the proposal most of the fuss would have been avoided. And I feel the extra £1 is worth it as the costs of staging the National are quite high I am sure, the only downside is that those from overseas will not benifit unless they happen to be over here, but I still feel the membership is more than worth it due to the benifits others have mentioned.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Willie
Minor Legend

insurance

Post by Willie »

Ray....my premium is £60-90p not £60 to £90,sorry for leaving the
'p' out. The explanation from Kevin re the resolution makes it
clear..thanks
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Ray is right in saying that for £17 the club does a lot. For £18 it still does a lot. I feel that, as it was introduced as AOB, and went against the recommendations of the Treasurer, the extra £1 for the National was unnecessary. Had they put it forward as an extra to cover administration &c, bearing in mind that most classic car clubs are much more expensive, then I would have no problem.

However, I am now paying for something that I cannot have the benefit of. The discounts, spares, insurance (with Royal Sun Alliance, through AON), messageboard, magazine, are all worth the money. The extra pound will only increase the number of people going to the National if they can get there!!
6) Well organised rallies and shows. Local/National, small, large and occasionally combined. (not used by all)
er... aren't these rallies run by branches, and are therefore self-sufficient? I don't contribute to a branch, but if I attend their rally, I pay the entrance fee.

The 2001 Cars in the Park in Lichfield was Free. That was a fantastic day out, and the only National I have been to. Had it been £10 to enter, I doubt I would have gone. £5, then, yeah. That would have been a fair price for a good day out that must have been, ooh, 20 miles from home.

With regard to other rallies, I note from this issue that many of the forthcoming rallies are of the turn-up-and-have-a-chat-and-a-sarnie variety, with working mills &c as extras, but not the be-all-and-end-all.

Anyway, chaps, keep up the banter. This is what forums are all about, isn't it?
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

Maybe the club thinks if we pay for the national then it might encourage us to go and increase the numbers in attendance, probably wrong but an idea, who knows how these clubs think.
I think £18 is good value for just the magazine. How much do we spend a year on magazine subscriptions?

Insurance: Yes i'm with AON and they do know my moggie are not garaged as I don't have one (well not able to get to it with a car) but they are off road on drive behind vehicle post so maybe that made a difference. I'm just glad to get insurance at all being young driver they usually just put the phone down.
Willie
Minor Legend

insurance

Post by Willie »

Ok Robins, your Insurance is bona fide, good, but you can't be too
careful with the small print. Obviously the AON scheme now covers
parking on the driveway. I looked up an old mag advert and it was
Bain Hogg in those days, things have improved.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
moggyman999

Post by moggyman999 »

I must say the magazine was nice I didnt know about the parts, so mybe that will be of benefit. This message board however is invaluable & I would pay £18 just to use this for help & advice. Im supprised its not in the members only area! but then if it was, many people wouldnt able to get on here for us to encourage them to buy a moggy!! lol
As for the insurance & rac mebership. It mght be good for some, but far from being the best deal. No offence!
REGARDS LEE & SNOOPY (SNP)

See Snoopy in the flesh at

http://groups.msn.com/MorrisMinorownersUK
Cam

Post by Cam »

Actually, on the subject of members and this board, I wonder what percentage of the members can actually use / have access to this board?

I bet we are missing out on a lot of knowledge from the computer illiterate types!!!

Although, a bit more advertising in the mag would probably help those who can use it but don't know about it.

I, personally only found it by accident!!
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Hello,

To me an extra pound subs is neither here nor there. If subs went up a pound every year or two who'd complain. Admin costs, especially producing the magazine, must go up yearly. If there was a cash surplus from subs that could finance a free rally then fine, nobody could grumble. What annoys me is they way it was introduced at the AGM, and the silly pseudo-political fall-out and resignation/s that followed. It's a car club for goodness sake. I'm also annoyed that people living, say, 150 miles away who'd probably not be able to attend are appearing to subsidise those that can, and will. I'm sure there are those in Wales, Scotland, the NE and NW etc. who may see it as another scheme for subsidising the wealthy SE of England.
I didn't go to the National due to distance and other priorities, however, the theme did not appeal at all. I've no wish to run around enacting a Hollywood vision of the Wild West. I've also no wish to spend a day with my head under bonnets and up tail pipes, just a leisurely chat with other owners, a wander round to admire other cars without people with stetsons, 6-shooters and lassoos getting in my face.
As for insurance, I'm with AON and last year paid £81 for my garaged convertible. If the equivalent cover can be bought elsewhere I'd love to hear - just so that I can believe it for myself.

Gary
Chris
Minor Friendly

Post by Chris »

Alright so my copy arrived yesterday,
I don't agree with this idea, mainly because I'm not likely to go.

But if I could go I wouldn't be too keen on the fact that other members (maybe 4 others) who couldn't go, would be paying for it.

I make this judgement because if all MMOC members were to attend, not enough money would have been raised. So I expect that the club are expecting about 4 times as many members that can't attend, as those which can. To simply cover the costs.

(hopefully my logic makes sense somehow)

Chris
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

er... aren't these rallies run by branches, and are therefore self-sufficient?
Yes, but the branches are part of the club, and even though I guess most of that is voluntary, without the club there would be no branches??
And membership get's a discounted entry!
should not have to subsidise those who can
That was my point - nobody uses every club service (well unless they're doing it to make a poin!) so the memebership subsidises a lot of minority activities - just like this messageboard (which is of course maintained by unpaid saints - THANKS guys if you're passing this thread), but server space and PHP are paid for, just for a very small minority.
The sum of all the activities is fantastic, and it should cover a wide range as Moggy owners are a wide and varied bunch.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(