Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Robins
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Hazards.

Post by Robins »

I've been looking at the hazard light conversion, has anyone done this?
What does the conversion actually consist of?
Looking back at an article in Minor monthly (oct-2001 issue) doing the conversion from Birmingham moggie centre it would seem you could just put a switch connecting both sides of the car together. So flick the indicators on one direction, through the switch and join the other side to it and they all go, and pay nearly £40 for the conversion. The article doesn't say anything about changing/upgrading the main indicator box.
So is it just wiring and a switch or do I need a different indicator box?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers, Daniel
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

I assume no one has hazard warning lights fitted to their moggie then?
Right, down to Lucas on Tuesday in that case. Got to be a cheaper alternative than £40 for the conversion kit.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/technica ... shers.html

What age is your car? If you have the later flasher unit for flashing amber lights, then it sounds like just a couple of pounds worth of parts.

I bought one of those reflective triangles instead as depending what the breakdown is you can't rely on the lights working anyway.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

Ah thanks Ray, new some one could help. It was the flasher unit bit I was puzzeling over. It's a 1966 model.

It's for a friend taking the moggie to Germany and to pass the german MoT aparently needs Hazard lights. I see your point about the light probably not working if your broke down anyway. I'm like you and have a triangle in the boot, somewhere.

Cheers, Daniel
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Be great if the things wouldn't blow away on the motorway! They're useful for country lanes though!
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
brit
Minor Friendly

Post by brit »

Does anyone know what the hazard switch/knob looks like?

It's just on purchasing my car *first minor I had ever been in* me and my friend figured most things by switting them on and off and so on *then i wred the drivers handbook when i got home* but I have yet to find out what a white knob just to the right of my speedo actually does. The car is a 67 saloon and I have seen no pics of minors with this knob nor is there any mention of it in any handbook or website. We can only figure it to be a hazard light switch *it doesn't do anything at the moment*

any info would be great as it's been bugging my ever since I got the car *about 2 months ago*

thanks

Brit :-?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

From left to right they are Washers, Windscreen Wipers, Lights, Choke, and underneath right a small sliding switch which is for the Speedo Dash / Lights, where exactly compared to these switches is the one you are talking about :o
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
brit
Minor Friendly

Post by brit »

It's about an inch or so directly above the choke. It pulls out but not that far
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Sounds like an accessory switch which has been wired in. The only thing to do, is either try it under all circumstances, or whip one of the gloveboxes out, to see what it's connecteed to.

The Lucas hazard switch, is a black knob with the normal triangle etched onto it. When it's pulled out, it brings a red sleeve with it, which lines up. I think. That's from memory though, so I could quite easily be wrong!
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
Willie
Minor Legend

white knob

Post by Willie »

Lo, the only white knob I have seen was for an electric wind-
screen washer.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
brit
Minor Friendly

Post by brit »

For the time being im going to call it the turbo button :D as I'm pretty sure I don't have electric windscreen washers as the original pump action one's work :).
Benjy
Minor Fan

White Knob

Post by Benjy »

Hey brit:

The white know is probably connected to the heater tap on top of the engine. Warm your car up, switch on the fan, then play about. You should find it adjusts the flow of water into the heater matrix and hence the temperature of air from the fan. This was only fitted to v. late minors.
brit
Minor Friendly

Post by brit »

Thanks for that benjy, I shall try this out.

my mog is a 67 which isnt all that late is it? or is it?
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Brit,

On my 1098 Mimor the heater knob is to the left of the steering wheel, just below the parcel shelf. It's black & is labellet heater - the heater matrix is painted in black crinkle finish - the earlier ones were smaller & covered by a board shape & had the variable rheostat in the centre.

looks like you have a non-standard additon (? radio on/off, heated rear window, fog lights - who knows)

Regards,

Colin
brit
Minor Friendly

Post by brit »

If I don't find out what it does *there isn't a heated rear screen or any sign of a stereo ever being in it :S* I'm going to see if i can get it wired so it operates electric windscreen washers 8)
Shmickle
Minor Friendly

Post by Shmickle »

Is there n e evidence of Nitro ever being there, its a long shot, but hey, it's nice to dream!
Benjy
Minor Fan

Post by Benjy »

If you really want to know what it does, take out the drivers glove box and follow the cable.

It sounds like it slides in & out (switch, not glovebox), which would suggest it's cable operation (like the choke), rather than an electrical switch, which would click on & off. I suspect it goes through the bulkhead into the engine bay, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding where it ends up. But if it's electrical, it could go anywhere!

Good Luck.
ianselva
Minor Friendly

Post by ianselva »

It sounds like a reversing light swith, we had a white one on our traveller, till my wife wiped the light off on a kerb stone. It should only pull out about 1/4 " and the top should undo ( anticlockwise) to replace the warning light bulb.
brit
Minor Friendly

Post by brit »

i took the top off it a while back and cant recall seeing a bulb but then again i found a small bulb rattling around the car yesterday so shall look into this, thanks for all the help :)