Coil Wiring question

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chris Morley
MMOC Member: No

Coil Wiring question

Post by Chris Morley »

A few years ago (when I knew very little about cars) a nice AA man attended my broken down mog and diagnosed that one of the low tension wires to the coil had an internal break.

The wire was cut short by a few inches and a new slide-on connector was fitted. This lasted me until Sunday afternoon when the same slide-on connector came loose on the M25, just as I was about to overtake a Jag :-? . A quick bodge with pliars got me home with minimal delay. However it's clear that vibration is pulling at the connector because the wire is too short.

I intend to splice in a 3 or 4 inch section of wire with bullet connectors to ease the pull on the wire. However, what ampage do these wires deal with? I'm guessing 15amp wires and connectors would be OK as the existing ones don't look anything special. However I would like to have a second opinion :roll: .
Cam

Post by Cam »

I think, from memory most ignition systems take about 4 amps ish (not very much) so your 15 amp stuff should be fine.

Just choose a piece of wire that is the same size or slightly bigger, but don't go too big as the connector won't fit the small wire properly and the larger strands will break easier than the small ones.
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Cheers Cam for the second opinion. Looking at the coil wires they seem to be slightly thinner than the 15 amp wire I've got to hand. I used this wire for a stick-on rearscreen heater which lasted one winter...

I've been looking through most of my extensive collection of books for you, but I just can't find any pictures of Mist Green or Mid Green mogs (several pictures of Romain Green cars though). I believe the book by Guy Saddlestone has quite a few colour pics but I can't find it at the moment ..... :-?
paulg
Minor Friendly

Post by paulg »

Our Minor stalled because the spade connector slipped from one of the coil terminals - unfortunately my wife was driving!
The consequent painful discussions motivated me to make sure it didn't happen again!
So, I refitted the original wire and connector with great care.
Then, as the coil terminals had two male spades each side, I spliced a new, short wire in each low tension wire and connected this to the spare spade on each side.
No problems since!
dennis
Minor Friendly

Post by dennis »

i am also looking for the colour code of mid green and can not find it.
this is for a 1958 pick up.
[img]http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3212102/1086722735259_small_8cwt.JPG[/img]
Willie
Minor Legend

mid green

Post by Willie »

Dennis, if your car was originally Mid Green then you should
have the letter'E' in the car number?? What is your exact chassis
number?
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
dennis
Minor Friendly

Post by dennis »

yes it ahs that letter.
will get the chassis number later when i go to my pick up.
have asked all the moggie centres and they say the closest maybe connaught green.
[img]http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3212102/1086722735259_small_8cwt.JPG[/img]
Willie
Minor Legend

green

Post by Willie »

Connaught Green is on my list as "LCV only,from approx 1960"
The only two greens listed from 1956 start are,'Sage Green(two
shades) and 'Dark Green' which is my colour and is VERY dark.
The paint codes are: Connaught Green......GN.18
Sage Green..............GN.5
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]