Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
frank308d
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Reliability quest.

Post by frank308d »

Hi guys. I'm not new to Minor ownership but now that I have a late Traveller that I intend to use in my business, I have a couple of queries. My previous 1963 1098cc, had a whole pile of stuff done before I got it so other than regular servicing, I left it alone. It did a sterling job and on the odd occasion it misbehaved, I simply took the van. I'd like to use the Traveller as a bit of a promotional vehicle so need it to be as reliable as it can be without resorting to metro engine etc. Are there any mods that will help out. Should I be looking at upgrading coil, fuel pump, maybe electronic ignition etc to try and avaoid those non starting blues? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

If you have done regular servicing there should not be many starting problems, as regards the fuel pump do you mean changing it to an electronic one rather than one with points in it, and the electronic ignition unit depending on type will only do away with the need for adjusting the points, and wont make the car run any better, as for the metro engine it will take a lot of work to fit , most use Marina / Ital so you are right to not want to go down that route.
What you have not said is what the problems are, could you expand.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Cam

Post by Cam »

To be honest, a well maintained Moggy can be very reliable. I would say that if the correct maintenance is carried out the standard set up should be fine.

But you could:

Convert to an alternator.
Fit disc brakes.
Fit electronic ignition.
Fit a Sierra gearbox (no need to change the oil)
Fit a k-series engine (from a late Rover)

It all depends on exactly what sort of reliability you need and what servicing you are prepared to do.
frank308d
Minor Friendly

Post by frank308d »

Regular servicing is all part and parcel of Minor owenership to me. I am glad enough to get underneath and get my hands dirty. I had 5 very happy years with the 1963 other than the odd (possibly 2 or 3) morning non-starting. :evil: Although it did go with a push.That was down to a dodgy starter motor which I changed. I think I'm looking more for peace of mind with this one as I won't have the van to fall back on. Would electronic pump and ignition improve matters over the standard points systems? Disc brakes, alternator and up-rated lightss will follow later this year. Oh, I meant to say Rover 100 engine not Metro ! Force of habit. Maybe when the pennies start to add up, that will be for next year?????
Cam

Post by Cam »

Electronic ignition seems to be more reliable in my experience, but I have had more trouble with electronic pumps than with the old contact breaker types, which is why I always carry a spare pump now.....
frank308d
Minor Friendly

Post by frank308d »

Okey dokey. Electronic ignition, original style but new fuel pump, alternator and halogen headlight conversion. Regular servicing !! As I live in London and do alot of rush hour driving, should I be looking at an electric fan of the Kenlowe variety too? Are they much aggro to fit and where do they sit? Or just keep the fan belt tight and keep an eye out for leaks etc?
Cam

Post by Cam »

I would advise the use of an electric fan if you do a lot of traffic jams. Mine got to 3/4 on the temperature gauge yesterday when I was sitting in traffic for about 15 mins, and that was with the heater on!! I might invest in one myself.................

I have seen a Kenlowe fan fitted to the front of the radiator, and I don't think they are too much hassle to fit, although I can't remember exactly how they fit. Most people do remove the standard steel fan when fitting the Kenlowe ones..... they come with a thermostat which you can set yourself via a knob on the top of the unit, so you can specify what temperature the fan cuts in at.

Why convert to Halogen lights?? in my experience, the standard ones are perfectly fine..... the halogen ones have a flatter front than the lucas sealed beam types and so affect the look of the car. (I prefer the bulging out of the headlights personally).
frank308d
Minor Friendly

Post by frank308d »

Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll keep my eyes open for the necessary bits and pieces. Although the standard lights are ok, I thought the halogen jobs would give an improvement?
Cam

Post by Cam »

I thought the halogen jobs would give an improvement?
Yes they will be brighter, but the standard lights seem perfectly capable to me....... just seems like a waste of money and it alters the look of the front slightly for the worse.

Personal opinon I guess..............try the standard lights, and if you are not satisfied then upgrade.......
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Halogen lights give a much improved view at night. If you don't like the flat ones (I agree, Cam, but mine were only cheap!) then why not invest in a pair of Lucs "tripod" design lamps. Those are rounded at the front, and were a standard / period fitment on many sporting saloons of the 50's and 60's. Image. Available from Holden Vintage and Classic for the knock down price (nurse, my sides!) of £70 each!! Try traders at autojumbles - I'm sure they can be bought cheaper than that!

Non-starting problems? I have never had Phyllis just refuse to start one morning. She may have thrown a wobbly and refused to keep going occasionally, but refuse to start? Never! :wink:
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
grainger
Minor Fan

Post by grainger »

hi

i agree with gareth, none of my moggies have ever refused to start, even the other week when i put the ht leads on the wrong way it still started !!

starting is just NOT a problem. they are as reliable as a car can get.

all the best
grainger
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

The only time I've ever wished for Halogens was one very wet night driving between Bude and Redruth. Here in the West of London the glow of sodium lighting is everywhere so I don't need them. I also like the bulgy headlamps - why can't halogens be made with this shape?

As Grainger said, the Moggie is arguably the most reliable British car ever, so why try to improve it? Mine has started first time without fail for the last 3 years, unless you count the times I've forgotten to pull the choke out. Only poor servicing, failing batteries, corroded wiring or low quality service parts will cause unreliability.
frank308d
Minor Friendly

Post by frank308d »

Oh my !! I wasn't putting the old love down or anything !! The problem with the 1963 was a starter motor that refused to play so it was changed pronto. My concern is that the Traveller will be my sole works vehicle and I can't afford for it not to start. Re: the lighting, were the period spots/fog lamps any good?
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

My starter was poor when I got the car, but the 'new' one should last many years. A starting handle is all the back-up you need and giving public demonstrations will certainly create attention for your business! :)
frank308d
Minor Friendly

Post by frank308d »

Cheers chaps. I've had some attention already. One customer even had the cheek to see if, as I drove a 1970 car, whether I was charging 1970 prices !!
Willie
Minor Legend

halogens

Post by Willie »

HA I like it!! I have fitted Halogens and no one has ever said
that it doesn't look right. The cut off on 'dipped' is much better
defined which is a function of the shape and pattern of the glass
so I suppose that is why they are flatter. The overall illumination
is also worth while.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
frank308d
Minor Friendly

Post by frank308d »

Hi Willie,
I'm not overly concerned about complete originality, I'm saving that for the 1952 MM. Do you have an alternator fitted or are you still running the dynamo with the halogens?
Frank.
Willie
Minor Legend

halogens

Post by Willie »

No I am still using the dynamo as they are more reliable.
I have had no problems but then again I don't spend ages
in rush hour traffic jams!
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
h_____
Minor Friendly

Post by h_____ »

just going to chip in my 2p worth.

I wouldnt worry about an electric fan if the engine is standard. I ran a standard 1098 in london traffic (35miles each way daily). it never overheated, but I did run the battery flat (lights, wipers, stereo, heater in stationary traffic on M25). So get an alternator conversion. Get an electronic ingnition (otherwise adjust the points every 3000miles or less!) Disc brakes (or adjust your drums every 1500-2000miles! I vote for halogens too, but not essential. I second the votes for new fuel pump. For the longer term, consider a remote fluid reservoir (just for convience of seeing how high the fluid is (unless you do discs, then it is mandatory). Other than that, be religious with your maintenance. The only unreliability I had was when I hadnt done the maintenance. And you cant blame the car for that! Do all your greasing, change ALL fluids regularly and keep your rust proofing up, and it will fine.
H
'56 1275cc Convertable
Herts, UK
MikeTrav68
Minor Friendly

Post by MikeTrav68 »

Good grief! I guess we have different views on reliability. If the starter handle has to come out, that's not reliable. If you have to garage to start on a cold/damp winter day, that's not reliable. If you can't leave it 3 weeks and start, that's not reliable. Lean in through the window of your efi car, turn the key, it starts. THAT's reliable. Speaking as one with 3 cars 30+ years old, I'd say electronic ignition was *essential*. THE best addition to a classic car. And if you only do city driving, or have a remote alarm, or radio with memory, then alternator is *essential*. Don't get me wrong, I love my classic Trav/Volvo/Mini, but they *have* to be reliable for my work. Halogens optional of course but I think they're good. Can't comment on fans or fuel pumps, not had a problem.