Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

will it start with flat battery

Post by dalebrignall »

just wondering if my moggie will start with a flat battery,it has electronic ignition.
Axolotl
Minor Fan

Post by Axolotl »

On the starter, as it is? No.

Jump start from another vehicle? Yes. (Mind the battery polarity when you connect the jump leads).

Push start? Maybe, if your pushers are young, fit and healthy.

Rolling down a hill after a push? Probably.

Even a flat battery will have some voltage left, which may be enough to drive the ignition if the starter's not in use. Even if the battery is truly truly dead, if you can get the engine turning fast enough, the alternator / dynamo may still have enough residual magentism to self-energise and produce enough output to drive the ignition circuit.

Electronic ignition should be more forgiving of low voltages than conventional ignition.

If you are push / rolling starting, use 2nd or even third gear to make it easier for the wheels to turn the engine.

Bon chance!
Cheers, Axolotl.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

The consensus among old bike owners with electronic ignition it the the battery has to be in a higher state of charge to work with it.
I assume the same would apply to cars.
If there is barely enough power to turn the engine over on the starter motor there is still plenty to supply a spark, Try the starting handle (carefully)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If the fuel pump will click - then the ignition will work. Just crank it up on the handle - it's there for that very purpose.
If completely flat (ie no red light/no fuel pump) - even dry batteries connected up to give 12 volts will get the sparks going - connect them first to the fuel pump till it fills the carb with petrol, then transfer to the ignition circuit and use the handle. When it starts the generator will cut in to charge the battery and after a few minutes you can transfer the ignition back to the main system without the engine dying if you are quick. But easiest of all is a set of jump leads - connect them up and run the donor car at fast idle for a good 5 mins to put a charge across - and then attempt a start with the donor still connected of course.
ImageImage
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Or connect a fast charger for a few minutes...
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

thanks very much i was wondering if it was possiable thats all,everything is hunky dory under the bonnet.
[sig]5641[/sig]