Another Radio question

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

Quite difficult to do i'm afraid!

Modern radios (touch control types) use a totally different method of approach than the old systems. The old radios used variable resistors and capacitors for volume, balance, tone and station tuning. The modern systems use digital data signals from the front matrix panel to contol ICs that perform the functions. These functions are also carried out in a different way also and are far more complex to control.

You would have to have the knowledge of the modern radio designer in order to interface the two correctly.

I personally would get an 80s car stereo unit (with control knobs) and use the printed circuit board out of that inside the period unit. Finding the correct value potentiometers to fit the period unit and control the 80s unit might be tricky though.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

potentiometers
Good grief I hope I never have to work on one of those as I can`t pronounce it let alone spell it :o
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
grainger
Minor Fan

Post by grainger »

its another word for a knob !!!

ie volume control etc - a variable resistor, so when you turn it it changes the resistance. the term potentio-meter must have originally been something to do with electrical 'potential' ?

cheers
grainger
Willie
Minor Legend

radio

Post by Willie »

Mount it in the glove box,it will be cheaper and less likely
to be stolen.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
lowedb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by lowedb »

Many modern aftermarket radios have a remote control, usually infra red. You could try changing the rotary controls to rotary switches: The left switch could control volume up down, the right tuning. Other things would be trickier, of course. Then hide the modern unit somewehere unobtrusive, but accessible.

Regarding the name: Potentiometer from potential divider. Being picky, not quite the same as a variable resistor.

A VR has two terminals, and as you move the knob the resistance between the terminals change.
A potentiometer has three terminals. These are a fixed resistor, and a slider that moves up and down. If you put a voltage across the ends of the fixed resistor, the slider can pick a voltage anywhere between the top and bottom, essentially dividing the voltage or potential.

Because a variable resistor is the same as a potentiometer without 1 terminal, you can only generally buy Pots, and ignore the extra terminal you don't need.
grainger
Minor Fan

Post by grainger »

really ? sounds the same to me. ie a resistor with a variable tap. dunt really matter though

cheers
grainger
Cam

Post by Cam »

Oh yes, I can verify that! Lowedb is absolutely correct! a potentiometer is a different animal to a variable resitor.
grainger
Minor Fan

Post by grainger »

flipping eck thats where ive been going wrong ... i didnt realize they were animals !!!

youd better let maplins know, they keep their potentiometers where the 'variable resistors' should be, along with their 'rheostats' !!

cheers
grainger
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

its another word for a knob !!!
I am quite happy to accept the above, the other words are becoming toooo complicated for me :o
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
lowedb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by lowedb »

I did say I was being picky!

There was a question about why a potentiometer was so called, and I was explaining where the name came from.

Call it a knob, a pot, or whatever. We'll all understand!